Solved

Personalization Text Box for Custom Orders

Kittau
Tourist
4 0 2

I need a place for customers to enter up to 150 or so characters on my product pages for custom ordered bracelets. I have too many colors to have a variant for each combination. I don't know anything about coding, and the add-ons I've seen are for infinite variations. I just need a simple text box. Is there a free add-on app for this?

Accepted Solution (1)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Kittau!

Lizzy here, I’m a Shopify support Guru. There are a couple of ways that you can do this!

I know that you mentioned not being comfortable with code, however we do have a step by step guide here that is quite easy to follow. If you'd like to try it out, you can duplicate you theme first and test the change on the non-live version. That way you won't be affecting your store at all and may be able to set this up quite simply!

You can duplicate your theme by going to Online Store>Themes>Actions(on your current theme)>Duplicate.

If you'd rather not try making that change, or if it doesn't work for any reason there are apps that can help! While they do advertise the options for creating infinite variants, they're highly customizable. This means that they do also have the ability to just add a text field to your products. I'll list a few of the options that are free, below.

Variants Options Products 
Best Custom Product Options 
Infinite Product Options 

This sounds like a lovely product idea! Do you make the bracelets yourself?

Thank you,
Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 14 (14)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Kittau!

Lizzy here, I’m a Shopify support Guru. There are a couple of ways that you can do this!

I know that you mentioned not being comfortable with code, however we do have a step by step guide here that is quite easy to follow. If you'd like to try it out, you can duplicate you theme first and test the change on the non-live version. That way you won't be affecting your store at all and may be able to set this up quite simply!

You can duplicate your theme by going to Online Store>Themes>Actions(on your current theme)>Duplicate.

If you'd rather not try making that change, or if it doesn't work for any reason there are apps that can help! While they do advertise the options for creating infinite variants, they're highly customizable. This means that they do also have the ability to just add a text field to your products. I'll list a few of the options that are free, below.

Variants Options Products 
Best Custom Product Options 
Infinite Product Options 

This sounds like a lovely product idea! Do you make the bracelets yourself?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Kittau
Tourist
4 0 2

Thank you for the solution Lizzy. Yes I make each bracelet by hand 🙂

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

You're very welcome!

That's fantastic, handmade items are an extremely popular product. In that case I also think you may find this blog post we have interesting! It's all about selling handmade jewellery online.

How have you been working to market your business so far?

Kittau
Tourist
4 0 2
Thanks for sharing that blog post. I haven't started marketing yet, I want my site to look perfect first, and that means new pictures. Also just added a new app to the store I'm trying to get sorted as well. I got the text box to work fine thanks to that step by step so thanks again.
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

You're welcome! Ah I see. While I completely agree that it's best to wait to start marketing until you're ready, as soon as you feel like the time is right, I suggest starting to build up hype for your brand. You can do this via social media, so the store doesn't need to be 100% finished. Then, when your followers are buzzing and ready to buy, you open the store! 

I'm very happy to hear that you were able to get the text field working correctly! 

Please don't hesitate to reach out again here, or to our live support if you have any further questions!

Lizzy

jennifersnider
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi! Which app did you use to add the text box? The links above are not working. Thanks 🙂 

BangItOutDesign
Tourist
3 0 3
@Lizzy you mentioned several free apps but none of them seem to actually be free. Am I missing something?
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, @BangItOutDesign!

Each of the apps listed above does offer a free plan option. They do each also have a paid option, but if you're just getting started and need the use of the basic features, the free plan will have access to those! 

You can take a look at what the free plan includes on the app listing itself. About half way down each page there is a section that breaks down the pricing and which features come with which!

Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

Lizzy

mrdfss
Visitor
1 0 0

Lizzie, I love you for making my day so much better. Thank you for your help!

cocoaandpaper
Tourist
4 0 1

I've managed to do that so its on the products I need for customers to enter the personalisation - but how do I get it to show up on the packaging slip.

Thanks

Elisa 

greggmoore
Visitor
2 0 2

Hey Lizzy, you may need to update this post. I believe your guide is outdated. I could be wrong though!  Thanks!

prettyprinting
Visitor
1 0 0

please lmk if this can be done to my website.

I cant code myself - happy to pay you to do this for me.

thanks !

KateG142
Tourist
5 0 5

I wonder if you made it ? The links are not much help (no more paid apps, please!) and I haven't found a solution yet. 

The right time is now.

Tufan_Minimate
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

Hello! 

You can do that with Mini:Customization Fields App easily. It allows you to make a field required and also limit the character counts for the text fields. 

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 11.53.25.png

Hope it helps! 

Co-Founder at: MinimateApps
---
Mini:Customization Fields - Allows merchants to collect information from customers at product pages before proceeding to checkout
Hey!Scarcity Low Stock- Create a sense of urgency & scarcity to increase conversion rate by displaying inventory level