Preview alternate template from unpublished theme

Shopify Partner
115 0 7

How do you preview a page, blog, article, etc with a alternate template that is not included in the current published theme?

For instance if I have a theme collection.alt.liquid in an unpublished theme and I want to view a collection using that template instead of the template it currently uses. How would I go about that?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
330 0 33

Hello Halley,

This is one setting that is not able to be previewed in a simple way. Your pages and products can't see themes that are not published and live.

If you are doing some heavy work on the template I would suggest opening a free Shopify Partner account, which lets you create a free development store.

This dev store can have your inventory imported and all changes to tempaltes etc can happen live, but hidden in your dev store. Here is the signup for the Partner program: https://app.shopify.com/services/partners/signup

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
115 0 7

Thanks for the response.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route, but if that's the only way I'll have to do it.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

It's possible to preview an alternate template from an unpublished theme.

The trick is to:

1. Create an alternate template within your published theme with the same name as your alternate template in your unpublished theme.
  2. Assign a page/product/whatever you're trying to template to this alternate template in your published theme.
    1. The template in your published theme doesn't have to work/have any content. We're doing this simply for name assoccation.
  3. In your unpublished theme, visit that page within the theme customizer and it will use your alternate template. 

What is happening is when you visit a page/section/product/etc within your unpublished theme customizer, it pulls the template it's assigned in your published theme. If it doesn't find it within itself, it loads its default template.

Another trick, you can add a ?view=templatename  to view a page with an alternate template.

0 Likes