Preview theme changes locally before going to store?

Highlighted
13 0 0

I have themekit and slate setup (in different directories). I have a lot of changes to make that will impact the look of the store and may break it as dev is being done. I need to test these changes before they go up to the store an my users see them. However, all the Themekit and Slate docs only seem to have an option to work locally but changes are pushed up automatically. This is the normal work flow I use with all the other non-shopify site I've built. Is this possible?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
475 27 67

Hi, there. 

This is Dallas from Shopify. I will be more than happy to help you out today!

If you would like to make edits to your store and preview them before showing these edits live to your customers you'll just have to create a duplication of the theme. This copy will allow you to look at your site just like it was live, without it actually having to go live. To do this just go to Online Store > Themes > Actions > Duplicate in your Store Admin. Once you have done this you will see a copy of your live theme just below the live option. 

To preview what your site will look like as a live store, just click on Customize like you would with your main store. This will take you to where you can edit and preview the desktop and mobile version. Don't worry, though, any change that you make here won't be shown in your live store since this is a completely separate file. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions please let us know, as our support is available 24/7

Dallas
Shopify Social Care Team

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes