Problem with Customer Account Activation

Chris_Willocks
Tourist
5 0 1

Good evening,

I am having some issues on my store with customer account activation emails not being sent.

I am using the Venture theme and tested creating a customer account on my store earlier today. The first time I created an test customer account, I received the account activation email as expected.

However, I tried creating a second test customer account with a different email address, but I did not receive an activation email. I just received an account confirmation email and was taken straight through to the account page after registering.

I have tried deleting the test customer accounts and re-registering with different email addresses, on different devices, but the same issue still occurs i.e. no account activation email is received and I incorrectly receive the account confirmation email. I have also tried using different themes and trying the same tests, but the same problem still occurs. So it must be a problem that is outside of the theme and code etc.

Do you know how I can resolve this issue?

Your earliest response would be appreciated, as I need to get this resolved ASAP.

Many thanks,

Chris Willocks

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10292 145 1946

So it must be a problem that is outside of the theme and code etc.

That may not be the case. Let's get a link to your registration page if you think it still is.

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
0 Likes
Chris_Willocks
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the reply. My store isn’t live yet, so it is password protected. So you might not be able to view the registration page.

Is there any method of you viewing it without me giving the password away to everyone?

Many thanks,

Chris Willocks

0 Likes
Chris_Willocks
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi,

I still haven’t received a response to this.

Please can you clarify?

0 Likes
Chris_Willocks
Tourist
5 0 1

Any chance of getting a response to this? I’ve been waiting eight days for a response, but nothing. Not impressed.

I feel like I’m talking to myself.

akasheda
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi, 

@Jason  @Chris_Willocks 

I have the same issue.

https://elegantfits.com

This is my website. When I create a new customer account, the account is created directly without the activation email. 

Please advise how can we fix this 

Thank you,

Akash.

0 Likes
toverstreet
1 0 0

I've got the exact same issue using Brooklyn theme with the Bold subscription application app.

When you try to create your account it says it's sent you an email to verify email address but it never comes in.

https://buzzzflowers.com

The site is currently password protected in the Shopify controls. I'm assuming support can get around that.

thanks,

Todd

0 Likes
circular78
Tourist
11 0 2

@toverstreet wrote:

I've got the exact same issue using Brooklyn theme with the Bold subscription application app.

When you try to create your account it says it's sent you an email to verify email address but it never comes in.

The site is currently password protected in the Shopify controls. I'm assuming support can get around that.

thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd,

Did you managed to find a resolution?

@toverstreet wrote:

thanks,

Todd

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
230 1 118

Shopify does not offer an email verification setting for new customer accounts, as is customary in most other places on the web. By default, when a customer registers for an account on the storefront, they immediately gain access to their account. This presents a problem for many merchants such as members-only or wholesale businesses.

During registration, Shopify will only send an "account activation" email when a customer registers for an account using an email or phone that is already linked to a customer record (email subscribers, customers, etc.). This security measure prevents malicious parties from gaining access to someone else's order history (or other information) without actually having access to that email address.

To enable customer email verification as part of the customer registration process, try the Customer Fields app. You can require email verification for all new customer accounts with a simple form setting in the app. For more information, see How to enable email verification using the Customer Fields app.

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields ✪ 4.9/5 (242 reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪ 4.7/5 (203 reviews)
Dave_shopify
Shopify Partner
59 0 18

Huh?

Literally the only way a customer can create an account during checkout is to tick a box to receive a customer account activation email...

The register page is different and in the majority of cases never used.

No customer goes to a new website and registers via a register page before checking out... That's absurd. They come to your store, usually via marketing and land on a product they need, they may shop around and fill their cart, they then checkout.

If they don't create an account during checkout, they never will and the likeliness of them coming back is lower.

The issue everyone is having is that the email shopify is supposed to automatically send for them to create their password, does not get sent.

There are apps available that allow customers to create their password during checkout and not have to rely on the email.

0 Likes