Product add-ons without app

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am using a clean Debut theme with no apps. To sell spaces on kayaking trips.

Each trip has it's own product page (5 different trip types).

I have used the built-in "variants" for the date options the customer can select, and this tracks inventory of the number of spaces remaining on each date option.

I now need a way of allowing the customer to select "add hire kayak" to the date they've selected. This needs to increase the trip price by a set amount, but not affect the inventory of spaces available on each date. We have plenty of hire kayaks available, so we don't need to worry about setting up the hire kayaks as a resource that is inventory tracked.

I am aware this can be done with an app. But I really want to avoid this if possible.

Thanks for your ideas.

https://iekwqa0hb4roqgyz-39089373229.shopifypreview.com/products/coast-to-coast-skills-course?varian...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Hi, @SamNZ!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I appreciate you sharing the link to your store. It looks great and really has me missing my visit to New Zealand last year! 

Taking a look at your product page, I'm not seeing any dates added as variants. Did you perhaps update your product page since you created this post? I also notice that you have some blank fields on your product page. Did you add this using custom code or did you end up using an app?

While I understand that you are wanting to avoid using apps if possible, I really think that this will be your best option. In fact, there are some apps specifically designed to offer customers a variety of product options to choose from. With these options, you can offer customers different prices based on conditional logic. Not only will using an app make it easier to implement this type of customization, but it will also make the order process much easier to manage on your end. Some common apps designed to offer multiple product options include Infinite Product OptionsInfinite Options, and Bold Product Options.

Alternatively, you could look into an app like Experiences App, which is specifically for business who offer tours, tickets, classes, and events as products. With this app, you can embed a calendar on your product page, allow customers to specify the number of people who will be participating on the tour, and also integrate directly with the Shopify POS. If you are already taking advantage of the Shopify POS to offer in-person sales, then this could definitely be a useful feature. 

If you aren't using the Shopify POS, then BookThatApp may be a good solution for you. Aside from offering complex booking scenarios, this app also allows you to send customizable followup emails and SMS reminders to customers. BookThatApp also offers an embedded calendar for customers to select their desired tour dates and syncs with calendar apps like iCal and Google Calendar, making booking management easy on your end. It looks like this app will also allow you to limit the number of spaces available for each date option, which sounds like a great all-in-one solution for your business. 

If you are really wanting to avoid an app, however, then I recommend reaching out to a Shopify Expert who may be able to build out a custom solution. I'm also curious to hear if the rest of the Community has any suggestions! Is there a reason why you are wanting to avoid an app? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your detailed response. I did end up updating my pages since I
posted, and ended up using the app Infinite Options by ShopPad, which has
given me the solution I need.

The reason I was interested in not using an app, is that I want to keep my
new site as light and fast as possible. And also
avoid unnecessary subscription fees.

Once I get the functionality working how I like it with an app, do you
think a Shopify Expert would be able to build in the same functionality for
me without the need for an app? Would there be any advantages to doing this?

Cheers, Sam.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

No problem, Sam!

I'm glad to hear that Infinite Options is working out for you. Unless you are using a ton of apps or you have heavily customized your theme, it's quite rare that your site speed will be impacted. That being said, if you do notice that your site speed has significantly decreased with this app, you can always reach out to Infinite Options developers directly via the Support section of their app page. 

I completely understand wanting to avoid subscription fees on third-party apps. In the long run, it might be more cost-effective to have a Shopify Expert build out a custom solution for you. The main advantage to doing so would be to save on monthly subscription costs and potentially have a custom solution that might be not available through Infinite Options. However, if Infinite Options is providing you with exactly what you need, then it might be worth sticking with it. The ShopPad developers offer excellent support, so you can feel confident in reaching out to them should you ever require any assistance.

At the end of the day, whether you opt for a custom solution or decide to keep using Infinite Options is completely up to you, but if you have found a solution that works for you, then it might be worth continuing to use it!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi Julie, @Julie 

Is the app only option for Product Bundling ? 

I also like to do the same. Please check warby parker eyeglasses site as an example. 

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/men/butler/teal-tortoise

First you need to choose glasses( 50$ eg) , then you need to choose lens (extra price 30$), then you need to choose lens material ( extra 20$)

so the total price in your cart will be 100$.  

I like to do the same in each product page. 

kindly answer 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Hey, @Thiha! Thanks for this example!

Based on the website you shared, however, it sounds like a product options app would be a better fit for you than a product bundling app. Product bundling apps are typically for selling products that are "frequently bought together". For example, a product bundle could be a beach kit that includes sunscreen, sand toys, flip flops and towels as one saleable item.

In your case, it sounds like you'll instead want to consider one of the product options apps shared above, like Infinite Product OptionsInfinite Options, or Bold Product Options. With these apps, you can offer your customers the ability to choose different options for their products, much like the Warby Parker example you shared. 

It's also worth noting that unlike the example you shared, all of the available product options will be on a single product page. If you'd like to have a different for each selection, then this would involve some custom web development and a Shopify Expert would be able to help implement this for you. 

Are you also planning on selling glasses? If so, it would be great to offer your customers the ability to virtually "try-on" your products. Many major glasses retailers, including Warby Parker, offer virtual try-ons and there are actually a few apps in the Shopify App Store that support this feature. Some specific apps you can look into include Glasses & Accessories Try-OnGlazfit, and Forma. Each of these apps will allow customers to upload their own images and "try-on" your glasses. A feature like this will provide your customers with a unique and personalized shopping experience and should help boost your conversion rates. It's definitely something worth looking into! 

I'd love to hear more about your business plans and whether any of these apps will work for you! Feel free to respond here and let me know. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Dear Julie,

Thanks a lot for your helpful information. I appreciate it. 

Yes I was trying to sell glasses and want to do product check out exactly like Warby Parker.  This is a standard requirement. 

So my question is would you recommend me using apps or hire shopify expert to do one time  custom web development?

Who would you recommend if I have to hire shopify expert?

Best
Thiha

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

I appreciate your quick followup, Thiha! 

In this case, you'll want to get in touch with a Shopify Expert, as this will definitely involve some custom web development not achievable through an app. The Shopify Experts Marketplace will provide you with access to hundreds of web developers and you'll be able to filter your search by location, speciality, and price range so you can find one that's right for you.

I understand that it can be overwhelming to browse through our list of Shopify Experts, so I recommend selecting the "Create a job" option, which you can find in the top right corner of the Shopify Experts Marketplace. As I am unable to provide any specific recommendations, creating a job will make sure you're matched with the right developers who are best equipped to handle this customization.

Before you create a job, I also suggest reading our help docs on how to hire help and how to work with Experts. These will provide you with some pointers on how you can find the right developer and define your job scope so they have a full understanding of what you're looking to achieve. 

I'm confident that you'll be able to implement something pretty similar to the example you shared and I'm curious to see what the end result looks like!