Product drill-down?

Matthew_Wolfe
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

I'm looking for general guidance on the best way to implement this, to get a starting point;  I sell motorcycle sprockets, and I need my users to be able to drill down - brand, year, model then land on a page where customers can choose up to 3 separate items to add to the cart as a kit.  The frist item is a rear sprocket that will have about 20 sizes, and each size has 4 colors.  The second item is a front sprocket with 5 size choices, and the third item is a chain with about 5 choices.  The user then clicks one button to add it all to the cart as a kit, with part numbers for each of the 3 items listed in the cart.  What approach should I take for implementing this (or something very similar) on the shopify platform?  

I'm migrating from a very OLD home grown platform and I'm trying to reproduce the same general functionality. Here is a screen shot of the existing site to show the functionality that I'm trying to replicate: 

Example

0 Likes
Max
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 18 83

Hi, Matthew. 

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

It sounds like you might be after an app to help build a custom bundle or product. I'd suggest trying out one of these options to achieve that customization:

If you are also selling these products and parts individually, I'd suggest looking for a theme that has product and variant filtering available, or grabbing an app that helps customers view in a more specific way. 

If you have any more questions about how to get things set up, or anything else concerning your account or store, please feel free to reach out to us directly. 

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Matthew_Wolfe
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Thank you very much for the reply.  I checked out the options you linked, they look useful but I'm hoping to do this without additioanl monthly fees.  I think I have a potential solution using a free theme with a side bar, collections and tags, and an app that lets me upload collections in a CSV file. 

For automatic collections, is it possible to both "and" and "or" for the tags in the same collection?  For example, a collection of products that contain tags ((A and B) OR C)?  

0 Likes
Matthew_Wolfe
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Actually the app I thought was free is very expensive. :(   Is it possible to upload collections in a CSV file without buying an app?  

Edit --> I see it is possible to create collections and add products to them via a CSV file which is great.  Is it possible to nest collections (make a collection of collections) via a CSV file?  I don't see this mentioned in the help file.  

0 Likes
Max
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
571 18 83

Hi, Matthew.

Max, again.

Looking back at your example photo, I wonder if you could achieve something similar using only variants within a product? the number of variants is limited to 100, with 3 options but this might be something you could work from if you use other built-in options like menus and collections. 

If all dropdowns need to be completed you could create a variants and options suited to each product. How they would look in the product page, depends on the theme coding, but dropdowns are pretty standard.

I'd also look into this app Infinite Options, it's free and lets buyers customize their product. 

There isn't a way to create collections of collections, but you can use automated collections and connect them together using navigation or coding! This would be something similar to creating collections for an apparel brand where you can have a collection for Clothes > Tops > Sweaters > Tees > Tanks, etc. This would mean that the Clothes collection would include all products, the Tops collection all styles of tops, etc. 

• This is then often arranged into a menu so you can better narrow your search. think dropdown menus
  • You could also feature a subset of collections on a page using this guide

This sounds like it might involve some more work on your side to get the proper combination of items available on one product page. So, a little trial and error with test products might be in order. If you want to check these options out and ask for our opinion afterward, please feel free to contact support directly.

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
bertie-boy
Tourist
10 1 7

Hi Matthew

I have exactly the same requirement as you. Did you ever manage to find a work around for this? I would be very keen to hear.

Thanks

0 Likes
ScotPrahs
2 0 0

I think you should be able to drill it down with the help of an impact driver. They're the best for this type of stuff. I read an article on https://powerdrillguru.com/best-impact-driver/ that said it does it faster, better, and easier than any other gadget. I only tried the DEWALT DC825B 1/4-Inch 18-Volt, which is pretty simple and straightforward. I liked that about the driver and the fact that it's powerful yet precise for the perfect finish. One little fact that bothered me was that there are no batteries included with the drill. However, these can be purchased for a small price.

0 Likes