Product image order doesn't save

Sacha_Aizenman
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

I've just wanted to change the image order of a product I'm selling, while modifying the order it display a message saying "image roder saved" but this doesn't change on the back end of the website ! 

Can someone help ?

Replies 19 (19)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, Sacha.

Bo here From Shopify Support! 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem! Currently, this is not an open issue and I was unable to replicate this on my test store which would lead me to believe that this could be a local issue. Most of these issues are caused by either the browser being out of date or the cache/cookies interfering so I would love to try resolve both of these issues. We recommend that you use Google Chrome when using Shopify as it is the most compatible. Once you have Chrome open check that it is up to date as per this guide from Google. 

Once your browser is up to date you can then go ahead and clear the cache as per this guide from Google. Once this is done you should be able to manually change the order of your product images! 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can help you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Web-Dev
Excursionist
22 1 2

I opened my site on Chrome, and it worked beautifully!

flooofy
Visitor
1 0 4

Hello all!

I ran into this problem today as well and tried a lot of the suggestions, but I had no luck.

It dawned on me that the images were showing in the order of the variants. There's an option in the Variants section on the top right-hand side for "More Options". If you expand this it will give you the option to "Reorder Variants".

For me, simply dragging the colors in the order I want them to appear solved the problem. Finally 🙂 Phew!

I just wanted to share this, in case someone else might be able to solve the issue with the same option.

Happy selling!

bburke
Tourist
3 0 2

Saw several answers here that seemed to work, and sometimes only solved a part of the problem. We are selling a product (lip balm) where we want the product pictures ordered differently than the order of the variants (flavors ordered alphabetically) because we want to show a rendering of the product first and then the label second, and we want the default flavor to be unflavored. This was accomplished by the following steps in the products page (Shopify Admin | Products | All products | <select specific product>:

1) if any Media is already loaded, download and delete it from Shopify
2) as previously mentioned above (thank you), under Variants | More options use Reorder variants to order the variants in display order desired
3) upload the Media in the order you want it to appear on the Product page for your customers (in our case it was product flavor alphabetically product rendering 1st, product label 2nd; i.e. Cinnamon Lip Balm render, Cinnamon Lip Balm label, Peppermint Lip Balm render, Peppermint Lip Balm label, etc.)
4) back in the Variants section, click the image for each variant and link it to the uploaded image
5) press save
6) verify in Shopify by reloading product's page

It took me two passes to get the order I wanted (because I uploaded the images incorrectly the first time). Hope this helps!

GiftsandHobbies
Visitor
1 0 0

Yeah I also had issues with what most people are describing. 

Tried your suggestion by reordering the listed colors variants for the product by dragging the one I wanted to display first to the top and it actually worked as you mentioned and how most people here need it to work!!

lynnefae
Tourist
5 0 1

this is still a problem on my end too, please fix.

Sacha_Aizenman
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

I'm on chrome, up to date and cache has already been cleaned before posting this issue.

Can you help ?

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Thank you for getting back to me Sacha! 

As this appears to be an issue that is affecting your store alone, I would have to recommend that you reach out to our support team to further troubleshoot. Are you currently still experiencing this issue? 

All the Best,

Bo

Sacha_Aizenman
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello,

Yes still experienceing this issue.

How can I reach someone to help me ?

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Thanks for getting back to me,

You can contact our support team by clicking this link. We offer 24/7 support via chat, e-mail, and phone, all of which can be found right there. As it is a localized issue it would be best to speak with our support team on one of our live channels. If you haven't already, please try replicating this issue in incognito mode or from a different browser. Is this issue affecting all products or just one in particular? 

All the Best,

Bo

JohnFederkins
Shopify Partner
15 1 12

I'm having the exact same issue.
I'm using Chrome, I cleared my browser cache/cookies, and I contacted tech support Chat.
Their "solution" was to deleted and reload all the images....didn't work.
Then delete and recreate the product listing...still didn't work.

owgstore
Visitor
1 0 0

I too am experiencing this issue. I have opened in a Chrome incognito window and am still experiencing this problem. Appears to be a Shopify bug with the other users seeing this issue as well.

dstanimirov
Visitor
3 0 0

It is not browser side neither cookies or session. It silly to think that shopify logic behind regarding to images ordering rely on user session 

, I am also experienced in that kind of issue.

I list an item with 12 images as example from 1 to 12 , when I drag an image in Shopify Admin - images are  ordered correctly as well into Shopify Front 

but when I use the API to tell that image at position 10 need to be at position 1 and image at position 1 to be at position 10 - nothing happen .

The API accept the changes ( when ordering images ) only for the first image when is changed , everything else does not matter . Whatever I do, images are ordered same way as Item was listed.

ps. If someone is interested I can also make a video and shows you 🙂 

Good luck evryone

brentay
Shopify Partner
8 0 4

Hi! This doesn't exactly resolve the problem, since you will have to do it any time you change the order of your product images, but here's a solution that has been working for us (that doesn't involve re-uploading the product images!):

1. Rearrange product image order as needed
  2. Hover over product images to reveal the 3 dots on top right of image, click the 3 dots icon
  3. Then click to select 'edit alt text'
  4. Click into the form field that appears (you don't have to actually type or make edits), click save
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 on each image that was moved to a new position

This may not be the solution for everyone, but it's worth a shot! *We use the Modular Theme, by the way

CptLagalot
Tourist
4 0 1

I was having the same problem but fixed it by saving the problematic picture that kept jumping to the start of the pictures and then re-uploading only that picture.

KittyWhistle
Visitor
1 0 2

Same issue here! The workaround posted for alt text didn't work for me.

Figured I'd post the steps that I've done.

1. Created the product by duplicating another. Duplicated WITH images so I could keep the variant images uploaded.

2. Deleted the product specific images but kept the variants.

3. Uploaded new images for the product and rearranged them in the edit product screen. 

4. Saved.

5. Previewed. The first variant image keeps defaulting to be the first image even after reordering.

6. Tried clearing cookies and cache, to no avail. Tried the alt text on the main image, no avail. Tried deleting the first variant image and readding it to the end, didn't work. The ONLY way to get the product image to be first is just to remove the variant image entirely. Really annoying.

GemmaD
Visitor
2 0 0

Same problem here.  Our 'swatch' image (which I had bulk uploaded with the products) was the first image to appear on each product, then I uploaded the other, product specific images manually to each product.  The swatch image (because it was uploaded first, perhaps?) keeps being the 'dominant image' pulled through into Seguno emails, the Shopify cart and checkout.  I'm just deleting the swatch image out of each product.  Far from ideal!

I believe mine also wasn't a cache/cookies issue as it happened on other devices.

LBClub-Official
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello there i have all of a sudden come across this problem and none of the steps in the replies have worked. My shop worked fine and i could re-order images no problem but all of a sudden i can't get the main image to be the image i want no matter what i do?? I have cleared my cache and tried viewing in incognito but still the wrong image is used as the main image. It is so frustrating when things work and then out of your control, things stop working. Same as when i want to filter items that are active but not available in my store i could do this by adding the filter unavailable on the online store but I come back to my shop to find that has gone and i can no longer filter products like that...

Little Buggers Club - City Bugs Modded Better
Mod Shop - www.LittleBuggers.co.uk
Facebook - www.facebook.com/LittleBuggersClub
- www.facebook.com/groups/littlebuggersclub

Eatonite
Visitor
1 0 0

After a lot of messing about - the solution is to re-order the colours under the variants heading in the product editing page!