Product pages - Allow pre-orders for products

TyW
Community Manager
451 63 1209

If you have products that are out of stock, you can sell them as pre-orders. This is done by creating an alternate product template, and editing your payment settings. You can also use this customization to continue selling products that are on back-order.

pre01.png

Note: This customization isn't compatible with dynamic checkout buttons. If your theme supports dynamic checkout, then prevent the buttons from showing by following the steps to hide dynamic checkout buttons on product pages.

Sectioned and non-sectioned themes

The steps for this tutorial differ depending on whether you are using a sectioned or a non-sectioned theme. A sectioned theme is a newer theme that lets you drag and drop to arrange the layout of your store's pages.

To figure out whether your theme supports sections, go to the theme's Edit code page. If there are files in the Sections directory, you are using a sectioned theme. Non-sectioned themes were released before October 2016, and do not have files in the Sections directory.

If you are using a sectioned theme, then click the Sectioned themes button and follow the instructions. If you are using an older, non-sectioned theme, then click the Non-sectioned themes button and follow the instructions.

TyW | Online Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 112 (112)

BR16
Visitor
1 0 0

I made it to step 11 and there was nothing similar to:

<span data-add-to-cart-text>
{% unless current_variant.available %}
{{ 'products.product.sold_out' | t }}
{% else %}
{{ 'products.product.add_to_cart' | t }}
{% endunless %}
</span>

How do I proceed if there is nothing that says add to cart?

destineesmith
Visitor
1 0 0

Why is "cf" showing underneath my product's images when I do this coding? Anybody know how to get rid of it? It annoys me and looks unprofessional.

SarahJ1
Visitor
1 0 1

If I change the payment capture to "manual" - will that change the method for all my orders? I only want to do a pre-order for one item and don't want to have to manually input payments for all my other sales. 

KevinDCohen
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I'm not quite sure if this has been asked before, but is still still possible to do if my client is only using Shopify Lite?

mderetich
Visitor
1 0 0

Assuming this is set up correctly, will there be a new API event be automatically created or will it need to be created?

I'm hoping to set up a pre-order specific email series in Klaviyo. I know the confirmation email goes out of Shopify, but would need either an event or property I could query in Klaviyo.

Karan12
Visitor
1 0 0

After clicking on the sectioned, it is redirecting to the same current page.

jha
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, how can I create another badge like SOLD OUT badge and create a PRE ORDER in Debut Theme? I was hoping to create a Pre-Orde like Sold-Out and Sale without using any apps. 

Alexccbc
Visitor
1 0 0

Can you have this for specific variants only? We sell skis and say I have 4 sizes but only two are in stock, can I have the preorder button show on the out of stock items while still showing add to cart on the in stock sizes?

OliUK
Shopify Partner
234 2 48

Hi @Alexccbc ,

These more advanced use-cases are generally where apps step in. 

To flick between the two buttons requires Javascript that the default themes don't ship with.

Cheers,

Oli

——————————

Founder @ www.preproduct.io

The smarter way to launch products. 

shayla
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi. I am using the Narrative theme and followed all instructions however on the product-pre-order-template.liquid there is no add to cart section to replace it with pre order?

I am able to change the theme template on the product to pre order however it is still showing us Add to Cart online??

Thank you.

jerrymark
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, If my customer is just using Shopify Lite, is it still feasible for them to do what they want to do? I'm not really sure if this question has been raised previously. receiptify

HarryKane
Visitor
1 0 0

It is redirecting again and again to the same page, when I'm clicking it. paddle boat weight limit

Jaypal_P
Tourist
17 0 2

Hello @TyW ,

Can you explain how it works on the latest Dawn theme version?