Product videos instead of images

3 0 0

Hi folks,

Just reposting this as I've yet to have a response. I have a new store and it's using the Debut Theme... I'd like to show off  each product using a video - not a still image

I uploaded videos but they still show a stills. When I click on a product image I'm taken to the 'add to cart' page which has an image AND a video. (but I'd love to have ONLY video)

I've done a little digging and some themes support video embedding better than Debut theme does unfortunately. On some themes the video link can be pasted into the alt tag for a playable video - but not this theme unfortunately.

I'm not particularly tech savy but I can tweak a little bit of code here and there! If anyone would be able to give me a few pointers on a workaround I'd love to hear! Or a recommendation on a theme that might work better!

Thanks so much

www.myvideoinvite.com

Lula

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
464 26 66

Hi, Lula! 

This is Dallas from the Social Care team here at Shopify. 

Although there isn't a direct way to do this with the Debut theme I have found some workarounds for you to look into. 

If you'd like to add a video to the product image you are able to add the embedded code (<iframe...... iframe>) as the Alt Text so it will show the video as well as the product image. 

The steps to get that up and running are as follows: 

1. In your admin - select a product you would like to add a video to.
  2. Hover over a product image you would like to add your youtube video to.
  3. Select "Edit Alt Text" 
  4. Paste your Youtube embed link in the dialog box.
  5. Save your changes!

This, however, will only work on certain themes. Debut, unfortunately, doesn't have the Javascript capability for this specific hack. A theme that you can try is Parallax this does trick, for a fact, work on that theme. 

Some other options are:  

These are paid themes so if you are looking to just use a free theme then I would recommend workaround #2. 

The next best option after this would be to embed the video into the product description. It won't be in the image section of the product, but it will be on the product page and will be very easy for your customers to see. 

By clicking one of these buttons you can embed your video with the <iframe> link.

This video will be able to walk you through the steps so that you can visualize how to get that setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IQZo7ZqYQ

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please let us now. We are here 24/7

Cheers, 
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes