Questions re: Working on a new theme while current site is live

4 0 0

I had a theme custom-built for me a few years ago on Shopify...lots of customization during the build.  I'm now considering working on a new theme privately for a while before going live with it.  Few questions...

1)  HOW do I do this while keeping my current site live?

2) Will any changes I make to the new theme (that won't be live yet) change any custom code that was used on the site that I had customized a few years ago?

My main concern while working on a new site in the background is screwing ANYTHING up with the custom site/theme I had designed...I paid a fortune for it and don't want to change anything there.  Is there a way to completely separate them so whatever I try out with the new theme will not affect my current live theme?  I hired designers, they did a lot of custom code for me, added apps, etc.  I don't want ANY of that to be affected.

How do you do this?

0 Likes
Astronaut
1091 150 274

It's really simple to work on separate themes in Shopify. It's as simple as adding a new theme to your store. Say you wanted to work with a fresh install of the free Minimal Theme. Just go to Online Store > Themes > At the bottom you'll see "Free Themes". Click explore free themes, scroll to the bottom, select Minimal and pick whichever version of minimal you'd like to work with. The theme will be added to your store, but it will not be a published theme.  Wait for it to completely finish adding, you'll see some loading feedback. Once done, go to Actions > Edit Code on your minimal theme:

ThemeHelp.jpg

This will bring up your code editor. Any changes that you make in the code will only effect your unpublished theme, nothing else. There's a preview link in the top right of the code editor, as well as a customize link that will bring you to your visual editor for that specific theme. As long as you are in any theme other than your published theme, no changes will be made to the public theme and will not reflect on your live site.

After you're done editing, you may go to your site say in your browser just to look at something and your heart will jump into your throat when you see your unpublished theme displayed. This is just a cache issue, whatever the last theme you preview in your browser will be what shows up when you visit your website. If you open an incognito browser window and navigate to your website, you can rest assured you will only see your published theme.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
4 0 0

Thank you Ninthony for this VERY helpful reply.  When you said...

"After you're done editing, you may go to your site say in your browser just to look at something and your heart will jump into your throat when you see your unpublished theme displayed. This is just a cache issue, whatever the last theme you preview in your browser will be what shows up when you visit your website. If you open an incognito browser window and navigate to your website, you can rest assured you will only see your published theme."

Just to confirm, this will only happen to ME, not anyone else going to my site in their part of the world, correct?  They will still see my current live site, right?

0 Likes
Astronaut
1091 150 274

Yup, the only site the public will ever see is your current published theme.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
0 Likes
4 0 0

Great, thank you!

0 Likes