Re-enter Email at Checkout

Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

We are constantly getting returned emails from people who simply mistyped their emails in during checkout process. Most sites have you re-enter your email to verify that it is correct. Is there any way this can be added to the checkout page?

It is extremely frustrating trying to do business with people who are miffed that they haven't received their confirmation notice of purchase or shipping, all because they made an error in typing in their email address! It makes us look unprofessional on our end. Help!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
621 15 168

Hi Stephanie!

Liam here from Shopify - thank you for your question :)

Great to see you are looking to optimise the user experience for your customers so that only correct emails are submitted during an order. That being said the checkout section of Shopify is very limited in terms of how it can be customised. Some surface level changes can be made to colours but adding an extra email confirmation field would not be possible at this time. 

To ensure a secure checkout for your customers to safely purchase goods on your website and a directory of which to store all orders that come through your checkout, we don't allow any alterations to the checkout. It's also important not to alter the checkout to make sure that your store is PCI compliant and is following the most current best practices.

One work around for collecting a second email address you could consider could be to change the wording of the checkout fields that the customer fills out in your theme's language editor. For example in the field for "Company" you could change the wording to "E-mail". This would mean your customers would need to enter their email address a second time and you would have this stored within the order details. If an order confirmation email bounced from their email address, you would be able to compare the email address with the second email address you captured. The likelyhood of your customers misspelling their email wrong twice would be comparatively low.  

Hope this helps Stephanie, if you have any other questions, just let me know!

Cheers,
Liam

Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Liam, Community Manager
2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the help. I was able to ge the "Re-enter email" into the checkout field, but unable to find where I could have it flag it as an error if they do not enter the information. Can you point me directly to where I can do that?

Thank you!

Stephanie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
42 0 7

Stephanie,

To set your improvised "Re-enter Email" field to be required, go to Settings > Checkout.  In the "Form options" section, change the "Company Name" to Required.

Regards,
Rob

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

Rob,

Thank you so much for your answer. So simple....I forgot about settings there. The kind of stuff you set up once and pretty much forget. Problem solved for now.

Thanks!

Steph

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 4

I'm surprised how many of our users type the wrong e-mail address, but it is a real problem for us.

This is such an important feature, why won't Shopify create this as an option? Having the user reenter the address but still check out if the initial address is wrong does not help us much...though it might reduce some of the errors.  

We were told today by Shopify we could pay someone to code it, but I would think this should be an option Shopify creates for users.  

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

As annoying as it is, it is because it is within the cart and the cart is sacred ground that can't be messed with. The workaround above that I was given has worked for us. It's annoying as it means I have to manually go in and delete the "company" email before printing our shipping labels, but it does give them a second time to put in the email (and surprisingly people still get it wrong even twice). Which is why this issue really still needs to be addressed properly by Shopify. Because the real deal would give the person an error when they entered the email the second time if one of them did not match. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 4

Thanks for the response.

I completed the workaround, so hopefully this will reduce the mistakes.  I agree though, Shopify should fix this for us as it really is an important step in securely checking out and my guess is it is a pretty easy fix for their technicians.  

2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 12

Agree, Bradley. Hope the workaround helps you out....and praying Shopify will just fix this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 3

The double email entry and verification could be entered

@St_Benedict_s wrote:

As annoying as it is, it is because it is within the cart and the cart is sacred ground that can't be messed with. The workaround above that I was given has worked for us. It's annoying as it means I have to manually go in and delete the "company" email before printing our shipping labels, but it does give them a second time to put in the email (and surprisingly people still get it wrong even twice). Which is why this issue really still needs to be addressed properly by Shopify. Because the real deal would give the person an error when they entered the email the second time if one of them did not match. 

@St_Benedict_s wrote:

before going to the cart - a pre-cart step - then the email could be passed tot he cart.  Shopify not handling this in an elegant way is not the right answer.  This is a huge problem for many.  How many of us have shopped over and over again and used carts with this functionality.

I just had to enter my password twice and it had to match when I joined this community.  It's not that hard.  Don't tell us why you can't, figure out a way to make it happen.

1 Like