Related products based on product title..

16 0 0

I'm struggling a little with figuring out our related products section, the aim is to display alternative products with the same design in the related products section of our products page. Eg this T-Shirt design is also availible on this Mug/Hoodie/Sweatshirt. 

Bcause of our SKU setup and the ammount of products we have the only way I see it working in theory is a char count on the title, for example return products were the first 20 characters of the title are the same as that of the current viewed product.

Is this within the realm of posibility?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9807 91 1558

How many designs / types do you have? What would be the max number you'd expect to have?

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
16 0 0

Hi Jason

Around 2000 designs with 6 variatiant products of each.

Matt

0 Likes
16 0 0

Up..

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9807 91 1558

Without knowing all the details I'd be leaning towards using the storefront search here.

Whilst the search page is generally used by a customer to search for things manually, you can also use JavaScript to query the same page using your predetermined search keyword. The returned results can then be added to the page using JS.

The only minor hurdle would be working out how you will store the keyword data. That might be a tag, metafield, something in the content, title, etc. There's likely going to be a preferred option depending on your product setup.

You could also create a collection for every design but that might not be a path you want to go down. Once a collection like that is setup it's pretty simple to show the contents on a page.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Explorer
70 3 8

Hi Jason,

What would the JS look like for something like that? 

Lets say I was calling for all products with the same product title like River Etive Falls ?

Would the script be able to handle a query like this - Get all products matching active products title, exclude current product from results?

Is JS the best option for speed?

Thanks

0 Likes