Remove the Express Checkout buttons from first Checkout Page (PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay)

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1308 128 337

Hey there, @LibertyMinded 

I am sorry you feel this way. Shopify does come with a number of free themes that work out of the box. It sounds like you are using a third-party theme. As third-party themes are supported by their developers, you will need to reach out to them directly with this issue. 

I appreciate the feedback you have given us and it has been noted. We are constantly working on improving the platform and building out on our already established features.

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Yeah, that's about what I expected as an answer. 

The theme I have is no longer supported as the developers have vanished, and was expensive and purchased specifically because it supports color swatches over the product images... A feature which does not seem to be available in any of the free templates (maybe Shopify was never intended for retail apparel websites??? heh) and can only be achieved by purchasing an expensive theme, or a VERY expensive monthly subscription to an app that adds on functionality that should be present by default. 

So now I either shell out a bunch more money for another theme where the developers may probably disappear again or get fleeced on a monthly subscription for a single basic addon feature included in other ecommerce platforms, or I'm just screwed because my theme developers are no longer available for support - for something that should be a pretty simple change, but has been made very complicated by how the theme system was offloaded by Shopify not properly putting functionality in the main product and creating a shady market to shake down Shopify customers and then leave them high and dry. I am very unhappy about this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Whoo, There are a lot of downsides to this approach. (sorry for my direct communication...)

If you hide the Express Checkout with CSS, this option is still available, code will still be loaded, it's just in some cases not visible for the end-user. Also, if the Shopify developers need to do some changes to the checkout code, it can very well be the case the Express Checkout buttons are back again. 
You have 0% guaranty this will work. And, if it works today, it can be broken tomorrow. 

The only right (and easiest) way to disable the Express Checkout, is to disable the Express payment methods in the Shopify Admin. 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payment Providers.
  2. In the "Shopify Payments" section, click on Change Provider.
  3. Now, you can disable the providers like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc. 

If you have a PayPal account connected and Express Checkout for PayPal activated, you can disable it on the Settings > Payment Providers page. In the PayPal section, you can click the button to disable PayPay Express Checkout. 

Once all payment providers are disabled for Express Checkout, the Express Checkout box on the Checkout page is gone.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

I have spent HOURS and HOURS on trying to hack around with the templates and was doing so with the knowledge that it was a wrong-headed way to deal with this.

I was even going to possibly hire a better more experienced shopify coder to figure it out for me.
Thank you so so much. This has saved me time and money and is the way it should be.

I can't believe that shopify had it as the default, and that their supportis so bad at answering this basic question.

I appreciate so much that you rescued me from continuing to follow horrible advice. I have now resolved the issue.

I would send you a tip if you wanted to accept one.
Again, thank you!

I hope this thread will find it's way into the hands of all the other people searching for how to fix this horrible setup. (Especially since Shopify gives us no good way to properly modify the checkout experience without forking over a ton of additional cash to be Shopify Plus and then says it's about PCI compliance... )

So, they are basically saying that they only abide by compliance with the 'proletariat' businesses that don't shell out additional money to be able to have reasonable controls over their own business. It's a silly excuse. If you want to use that excuse, then build a PCI compliant way for store owners to customize their checkout pages. The nickel & diming goes on...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 0

Hi, I've tried this but when it moves the PayPal payment to the checkout page, the express bit is missing.

My site is tbcustomsshop.co.uk

Any ideas??

Cheers

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Bo, 

I've followed your steps and have been unsuccessful. Do you mind helping? Images attached.

Additionally, I tried to apply what you mentioned for another user (who was using a cart) and the code came up with an error and wouldn't save.

Thanks,

Jarahad

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.59.25 pm.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.58.42 pm.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1308 128 337

Hey there, @TBCutomsUK 

I took a look at your site and it would appear that you have skipped Step One entirely. You do need to go through Step One and Step Two in order for this tutorial to work. Let me know once you have completed the process and if it works for you. 

All the Best,

Bo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1308 128 337

Hey there, @Jarahad 

I would love to help! Could you please send me a link to your store ad let me know what theme it is that you are currently using? 

All the Best,

Bo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 0

Hi Bo, I put the site back to show express payment as most of our customers use it and we didn't want to lose orders by not showing it at all.

Ill try again but I reckon it will still only show the PayPal button and not the Express bit.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 0

Hi Bo, I have just tried it again and when you get to the checkout page the Express buttons aren't there. See screen shot

TBCutomsUK_0-1599130399300.png

0 Likes