Removing Side Bar from Just Home Page

amberbop
5 0 0

My new Shopify site is up at www.AmberInk.com

I want to get rid of the side bar on the right. I want it to stay on the other pages it's on but disappear from the home page. Notice I use "disappear" this liquid language still feels a little like magic to me.

Can you waive your magic wand and help a girl out?

This is the Prettify template.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks (in advance.)

0 Likes
tetchi
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
489 0 43

LOL, I love your screenshot!

I looked at the source code of your site and it looks like there's a div with the id "sidebar" that you want to remove. In your theme.liquid file (accessed through Assets > Theme Editor), there should be a div with the id "sidebar". You want to pretty much remove that div and everything inside that div. 

Deleting this div should do the trick.

Regards,

Tetsuro

www.tetchi.ca | www.twitter.com/t3tchi
0 Likes
Caroline_Schnap
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5711 1 343

This was answered in support.

Answer:

Add a condition to your theme.liquid file:

{% unless template == 'index' %}
  ... sidebar div
  {% endunless %}

0 Likes
tetchi
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
489 0 43

Oh cool, sorry Caroline I wasn't aware that she wanted to remove the sidebar just from the index page. 

www.tetchi.ca | www.twitter.com/t3tchi
0 Likes
Caroline_Schnap
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5711 1 343

Hey no problem, Tetsu. It's interesting because many create tickets in support and post here. So when answered in 1 place, I like to update the other place. Sometimes the answer comes from here, and then in suport I point to it, or vice versa. Thanks for your help! x0x.

0 Likes
Jamie
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5715 0 154

lol :) love the "Go Away!" Graphic.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
Caroline_Schnap
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5711 1 343

Love the store's tagline: Because you're brilliant, not patient. It's addressed to women (that's what I would like to think). Damn yeah, I am brilliant, and no I don't have to be patient. Love it.

0 Likes
amberbop
5 0 0

Thanks for all your help, you two! I didn't know how to find my link to this question again. So that's why I never responded.

I finally figured out to just search for my name. fail.  Thank you so much. I am loving building my site and your insight to this crazy language has really helped.

Thanks Caroline, I really identify with the store's tagline and I'm glad you too. It bodes well, our target is smart women ;)

0 Likes
amberbop
5 0 0

Can anyone help me figure out how to take the sidebar out of just 1 page?  I have a new page that I need to not have the sidebar in it.  Thanks to all the support help I know how to take it out of the index page template but not how to create exceptions for pages that follow the page template.  Any thing you could come up with would be REALLY helpful.

0 Likes
Caroline_Schnap
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5711 1 343

Hi Amber, hope you'll find your way again here :-)

Modified code is:

{% unless template == 'index' or page.handle == 'your-special-page-handle' %}
  ... sidebar div
{% endunless %}

Replace 'your-special-page-handle' with your special page handle.

What is a handle? http://wiki.shopify.com/Handle

0 Likes