Removing default variant - please select

John_Barker1
4 0 0

How can I remove the default variant?

The variant options on our products are critical, if a customer purchases the product using the default product variant they will receive the incorrect product.

How do I change it so the title in the drop down box is "please select" and that they must select the required option before checkout.

At present I have Please Select as a variant but it will allow checkout with this.

Thanks

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hello John,

Great question, this can really help prevent any accidental orders.

We discuss this customization in a doc here: https://docs.shopify.com/support/your-website/themes/how-to-add-a-pick-an-option-to-drop-downs

Note that this doesn't work with every theme, and some themes can have some elements which block this customization from working. If you're having some issues you might need to get in touch with a Shopify Expert to complete the customization

weheh
2 0 0

I use the minimal theme, followed your instructions to the letter, and it worked first time. Nice! But ...

How to get the featured product to also behave the same way? The featured product theme defaults to a variant instead of Pick a Size.

0 Likes
weheh
2 0 0

I just hacked the same code into featured-product.liquid and it worked like a charm. So problem solved. Thanks for the tutorial.

0 Likes