Solved

Removing the shipping location option

arad314
Tourist
14 0 2

Untitled.pngxx.png

Some products have the option of choosing where they want to get product from, even after I edit the options, the option of shipping from the United States remains, I'd love to know how to change it to make it look like the second picture.

Accepted Solution (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @arad314!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

Are you sourcing your products from Oberlo? If so, the "Ships From" options are typically imported from Oberlo as variants. While the "Ships From" variants can technically be removed from the product by deleting the variants within the Products section of Shopify, at least one variant has to be left in that section in order for the product to remain in sync with Oberlo.

In your case, if you'd like to sell the product that ships from the United States, then you'll just need to delete the variant for the other "Ships From" location(s). This will leave you with one variant option, which would be the one that ships from the United States and this variant will still be in sync with Oberlo. However, if you don't want your customers to see where the items are shipped from, you can change "Ships From" variant values. For example, you can change the title of the variant from "Ships from" to "Collection", and the option "United States" to "2019". This is a great workaround for removing the" Ships From" variant while still ensuring that your products are in sync. 

Oberlo also has a help doc on how to remove the "Ships From" option I recommend checking out. This help doc includes a few screenshots and further explains how you can use this workaround by editing your product variants.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 37 (37)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @arad314!

Julie, here from Shopify Support.

Are you sourcing your products from Oberlo? If so, the "Ships From" options are typically imported from Oberlo as variants. While the "Ships From" variants can technically be removed from the product by deleting the variants within the Products section of Shopify, at least one variant has to be left in that section in order for the product to remain in sync with Oberlo.

In your case, if you'd like to sell the product that ships from the United States, then you'll just need to delete the variant for the other "Ships From" location(s). This will leave you with one variant option, which would be the one that ships from the United States and this variant will still be in sync with Oberlo. However, if you don't want your customers to see where the items are shipped from, you can change "Ships From" variant values. For example, you can change the title of the variant from "Ships from" to "Collection", and the option "United States" to "2019". This is a great workaround for removing the" Ships From" variant while still ensuring that your products are in sync. 

Oberlo also has a help doc on how to remove the "Ships From" option I recommend checking out. This help doc includes a few screenshots and further explains how you can use this workaround by editing your product variants.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ben-Kloud-Nine
Excursionist
35 0 8

Sorry for Resurecting the thread,

in your case, if you'd like to sell the product that ships from the United States, then you'll just need to delete the variant for the other "Ships From" location(s). This will leave you with one variant option, which would be the one that ships from the United States and this variant will still be in sync with Oberlo. However, if you don't want your customers to see where the items are shipped from, you can change "Ships From" variant values. For example, you can change the title of the variant from "Ships from" to "Collection", and the option "United States" to "2019". This is a great workaround for removing the" Ships From" variant while still ensuring that your products are in sync.

is this per-product or all products?

if per-product can it be done in bulk?

Ben Moore
Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, Ben! No need to apologize; I'm always happy to help. 

If you have several products with multiple "Ships From" options, then the process outlined above will need to be done for each product. You can choose to delete these variants in bulk, however, but just keep in mind that at least one variant has to be left in that section in order for the product to remain in sync with Oberlo. 

While it's possible to delete variants in bulk, editing product options and editing variant details needs to be done on a per-product level. This can be pretty time consuming if you have a lot of products, so instead, you could choose to export your products as a CSV file, make the appropriate edits, then import the products once again. Alternatively, apps like Bulk Product Editor & Sync or Bulk Product Edit & CSV Import will also allow you to delete and edit variants in bulk. 

Do you have a lot of products with multiple "Ships From" variants that you are wanting to delete? If you are deleting the other variants, do you plan on also renaming the remaining variant?

Nicky8
Visitor
1 0 3

hi is there no way to remove ship from displayed on the website.

For instance if the only way to get a product delivered to the United states you would normally have to select ship from United states. Is there away to remove all shipfrom options displayed on the website?

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Nicky8!

In order for your products to remain in sync with Oberlo, you will need to keep the "Ships from" variant. To change the way it's displayed on your website, however, you can simply edit the text for the "Ships From" variant values. For example, you can change the title of the variant from "Ships from" to "Collection", and the option "United States" to "2019". This is a great workaround for removing the "Ships From" variant while still ensuring that your products are in sync. 

Did you get a chance to review Oberlo's help doc on how to remove the "Ships From" option I shared above? This will walk you through the process! 

Let me know if you're running into any troubles. 

SupportActivity
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there, on the same topic, can I define a default ? I renamed the variant to 1.United States and 2.China, however it still shows 2.China as the default and customers in the US miss it and order from China.

Thanks

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @SupportActivity.

Great question. The default variant is typically the first variant listed in the Variants section in your product details. In this case, it sounds like your variant options may just need some rearranging. 

From your Shopify admin, let's head on over to Products > All products and select one of the the products whose default variant you'd like to change. Taking a look at the Variants section, is 2.China listed above 1.United States? If so, then you'll just want to change the display order of these options.

You can do this by simply selecting the Reorder variants option and dragging 1.United States above 2.China. Once that's done, you should then see the default variant switch to 1.United States on the product page in your online store.

Let me know how that goes!  

Thriveshoppe
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi there,

Nice reading about the importance of keeping atleast one variant shipped from. But i dont see other dropshipper keep any ship from opton on the site. So how do they track further?

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Thriveshoppe.

Great question. It's worth noting that not all AliExpress products include a "Ships from" variant. Instead, only products that ship from multiple warehouses will have this option.

If you aren't seeing these variants on other dropshipping stores, then there's a good chance that either the product is shipped from a single warehouse, or the merchant may have renamed their variants as per the instructions outlined this Oberlo help doc.

I hope that clears things up!

Thriveshoppe
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you Julie. It is good now.

Yonas
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Julie

Having reading the whole topic, is this correct that if I don't use Oberlo then the shipping from variant will not be shown?

Thank you

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Yonas!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation.

While I can't speak to any third-party dropshipping apps, the "Ships from" variant is generally only added to products that are imported from AliExpress to Shopify using Oberlo. This is why Oberlo has a help doc specifically on this topic. It's also worth noting that this variant only appears on products that ship from multiple warehouses. This means that if the supplier is only shipping their product from a single location, then the product won't have a "Ships from" variant.

Are you noticing the "Ships from" variant appearing after importing products from a different dropshipping app? 

magic_uk
Visitor
1 0 0

@Julie Thanks for the workarounds mentioned in this thread.

You mentioned earlier to change Ship From to Collections and then rename all variants to 2019. Why not change all variants shipping locations to one location?

This will surely remove the Ships From dropdown from the store while keeping the list of all fulfilment locations and keeping in sync with Oberlo. When a customer then places an order, it should then allow the store owner to choose which fulfilment centre to procure the product from right? SKU normally contains the location also so there shouldn't be any mix up.

I haven't tested this out myself but what I was thinking is to list the shipping locations in the product description, if the customer is from one of these locations then the store owner can select the most appropriate location to ship it from.

For me it is about having the best experience for the customer and to avoid passing on custom or VAT charges e.g. if a customer is from Europe, the product should come from an EU warehouse

Thanks

buddycare
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I'm also curious about this topic.  I was researching and reading about this topic. I was thinking somehow combine those options or remove it at all. And everywhere the answer is the same it will lose sync with Oberlo, but whats then?

I understand it won't be able to put in all details automatically but can I do it my self?

Thank you!

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @buddycare!

To handle the "Ships From" variant, it's recommended that you choose one of the following options: 

• Leave only one “Ships From” option to target customers from a specific country the product is shipped from.
  • Rename “Ships From” variant and its options to hide the origin country from your customers and to make it suitable for customers worldwide. 

Neither of these options will break the sync with Oberlo, as at least one variant will remain synced with the app, making it much easier to automatically fulfill orders. 

Are you able to elaborate on what you mean by combining these options? Which of the above methods do you think will work best for you? 

vva11
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi there,

I am really puzzled on how to tackle this issue. 

Reading above and following Oberlo and shopify approach in renaming China to 2019 or other values, I notice it is not possible from shopify interface directly.

I can easily change "Ship To", but not the actual option value "China". If I do it outside of shopify by altering just that product field, I just realized I lose the stock sync with Oberlo /aliexpress.

I did not even whent further to check if fulfillment is possible. Losing stock sync is already a big issue.

I am really surprised to see many other stores manage to hide it. Not sure how.. And they got so many products that seems impossible not to get into this problem.

Why not give the shop owner the option to hide it and maybe manually select the warehouse location from the variant when doing the fulfillment? I would be happy to manually select it based on order address ... Just not to show it to customers... 

Anyone can please help?

Thank you 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @vva11!

I see this is your first post; welcome to the Shopify Community! 

So, in your case, I would recommend deleting all variants aside from one. Once that's done, you can then rename that particular variant to whatever you like. Because each variant is associated with a unique product ID, simply renaming it will not break the sync with Oberlo. You can rename your variant directly within your Shopify admin, following the instructions from this help doc

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Products.
  2. Select a specific product and go to the Variants section.
  3. Click More options and then Edit options
  4. Rename the title of Ships From variant to Ship To.
  5. Click Edit Variants and then Edit option values.
  6. Rename China option to Outside US, and United States to Within US

Of course, you can rename your variant title and option to whatever you like; the options listed above are merely suggestions. But rest assured, renaming your variants within Shopify will not break the connection with Oberlo, so you should be able to fulfill orders as per usual. 

I recommend giving this a shot and placing a test order to ensure that your products are still synced. Let me know how that goes! 

Usema
Visitor
1 0 0

Did anyone solve this? 

I am puzzled as well. 

It's not just Oberlo but the same scenario is replicated if you are using any other fullfilment App such as Dsers or Importify. 

I was wondering too how dropshippers manage this one. I know some of them use personal agents or either pick products which are sent from China only so you don't have to deal with the ships from variant. But this sounds limiting to me.

I know that we can edit the variant's text into anything else. Problem is when a U.S. customer picks "Outside of U.S.", that's when the problems come cause that's going to mess everything up

Any suggestions?

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @Usema

Welcome to the conversation!

The reason why other dropshipping apps import some products with the "Ships From" variant is because this is how some AliExpress suppliers create their product variants. How variants appear on AliExpress is exactly how they will be imported into Shopify, regardless of the dropshipping app you choose.

To answer your question, it's probably very unlikely that a US customer will select the "Outside of U.S." option, but if this does occur, you can choose a different variant when fulfilling the order. This will allow you to order the correct variant for your customer and proceed through the fulfillment process as per usual.

If you sell primarily to US customers, it would be a good idea to change the display order of options so that the "Outside of U.S." option isn't the first option customers see. Again, I don't foresee US customers selecting this option, but changing the order of your variants would be a good preventative measure to take. 

I hope this clears things up! If you have any further questions, please let me know.

vva11
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello Julie, 

Thank you for your detailed response. 

Honestly, I still don't understand why it is not possible to provide store owners with the option of completely hiding this variants on product page and just selecting the correct variant at fulfillment time as you mentioned in your message.

It looks more like a workaround and not a solution to me. 

Can this issue be pushed to your business analysts? Maybe they can come with a solution to better suit our needs?

Best regards 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

No problem, @vva11

For products to remain in sync with AliExpress, they need to be imported exactly as they are in AliExpress. Once imported, you’re free to rename the variants or delete any unwanted variants as suggested in the workarounds above. Since you suggested "hiding" them, I would recommend just deleting any of the unwanted variants, as this will effectively achieve the same end result. When fulfilling the order, you can then use Oberlo's override feature to select the appropriate variant.

I understand that this can be frustrating, but how these variants appear is dependent on the AliExpress suppliers themselves and how they create their product variants on their end, which is not something that Shopify can control.

That being said, I will be sure to raise your concern with our developers should they have any other ideas for workarounds we may be able to implement on our end. This could also be some feedback that you can provide to your AliExpress suppliers. 

Thanks again for voicing your concerns and I hope that offers some further clarity! Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

paguiar
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Julie

I understand the explanation, and I use DSERS. I'm just keeping variants shipping from the same country (in this case China) and deleted others. As other people already mentioned, it would be nice to delete the "ships from "country ....x" from the product description page only, as there are no other country options since I deleted them and only China remains, so no need to show this info as an option. The customers would just have to click on the variant they want (which is already linked to the correct SKU), without the need to see information about the country. In my case, I substituted the word "China" with "International", but still... Maybe some code change could give us an option to erase this from the product description page? Thanks!

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @paguiar!

Welcome to the conversation and thanks for letting me know that you're using DSers.

Similar to Oberlo, you will also need to leave one variant in order for your DSers products to remain synced with Shopify. It sounds like you are already familiar with how to handle products with the "Ships From" variant, so I'm glad to see that!

Although you will still have a single variant on your product page, this variant is already pre-selected, so it shouldn't make the checkout flow any different for customers. That being said, you may be able to hide the variant name through custom code. This would be something best handled by a Shopify Expert who is familiar with Liquid code.

I also came across this post in the Shopify Community Forums that offers some instructions on how to achieve this, along with sample code that you can use. Feel free to check that out if you'd like to give it a try yourself. Before you make any code edits, however, make sure to duplicate your theme so you have a backup copy in case you make any mistakes.

I hope this helps!

thorohead
Excursionist
18 0 3

Hi @Julie ,

once the products are imported to Shopify with Oberlo , If I change "ships from" to "Shipping" for example, and "China" to "Free Shipping", so instead of " Ships from: China" It looks like " Shipping: Free Shipping" , will this break the sync with Oberlo?  Thanks in advance.

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @thorohead.

Not to worry — simply changing your variant and option names will not break the sync with Oberlo. In fact, renaming is exactly what Oberlo suggests doing in their help doc on removing the "Ships From" variant from a product.

I hope this clears things up and thanks for checking in!

thorohead
Excursionist
18 0 3

@Julie Thank you👍👍

gchesty
Visitor
1 0 1

I agree.... 
Why in the world would you want the customer to see where you are getting your products from.

So I have no idea why Shopify would display that information.
The "Ships From" option should NOT be shown on the frontend to your customers.

Max1066
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello,

Before to find and read this conversation I have deleted all the "Ship from" button from the variant option. It was for being more attractive, but now as I read the conversation I'm afraid that my products will be not synced to Oberlo. What do I do to correct this?

Second question, I have the first basic free theme of Shopify, and I would like to show the price and reduced price like this in the final cart for customers. What code do I need to tape to modify it and which line please.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Max. 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi @Max1066!

If you plan on deleting some of your variants, it's very important to keep at least one variant so that your product remains in sync with Oberlo. Since you've deleted all of your variants, it's safe to say that your products are no longer synced with Oberlo. In this case, you'll need to use Oberlo's override feature. This feature comes in handy if you have accidentally unsynced the Shopify product from Oberlo and you want to sync them back. 

As for showing the original price and sale price in your cart, there's actually an existing post in the Community Forums post that outlines how you can achieve this with a bit of custom code. Feel free to check that out and join in on the conversation here.

That being said, if your customers are using a discount code, they'll be able to see the price deduction directly in the checkout. With a discount code, they'll see something like this: 

21-01-uxbmw-5o2xd

I hope this guides you in the right direction!

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

No problem, @magic_uk.

However you'd like to handle the "Ships From" variant really depends on your business and the types of products you sell; in some cases, it might make more sense to rename your variants ("2019" is merely a suggestion that was outlined in a previous version of Oberlo's help doc and might not work well for your products). In other cases, simply removing all "Ships From" variants aside from one may work better.

Oberlo's help doc breaks these two suggestions down simply:

• Leave only one “Ships From” option to target customers from a specific country the product is shipped from.
  • Rename “Ships From” variant and its options to hide the origin country from your customers and to make it suitable for customers worldwide. 

In theory, adding the shipping locations to the product descriptions and selecting the most appropriate variant when fulfilling the order would work. However, this would result in a manual fulfillment process since you will likely need to choose a different variant that is associated with where the customer is located. Whether you choose this method is completely up to you, but keep in mind that you need to have at least one variant that remains synced with Oberlo. If you decide to go this route, I suggest placing a test order so you can get a feel for the fulfillment process and see if it's a viable solution. 

I'm curious to know how you end up handling these variants!

KiloOscar
Visitor
1 0 0

Please, if they order has already been made but the order in not available in the country selected for me to complete the order with Ali Express, what do I do?

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi @KiloOscar!

Great question. If a customer placed an order for a product that cannot be shipped to them, then there are a couple of ways you can manage this. 

First, you could try to find the same product from a different supplier who is shipping to your customer's country. If you're able to find another product, then you can use Oberlo's override feature to fulfill the order using a different supplier. Keep in mind that the override feature is available for all merchants who use Oberlo, but you can only override products for current orders if you are on Oberlo's Boss plan. If you aren't on the Boss plan and want to use the override option on this particular order, then you'll just need to upgrade your Oberlo plan before you can do so. 

Alternatively, you could simply import a product from a different supplier who ships to your customer's country, then cancel the existing order and create a draft order with that particular product. You won't need to collect payment from the customer again, since you'll just be cancelling the order without refunding them. When creating the draft order, just make sure to apply a discount to the entire order so that no payment is required. Of course, this option would only work if you're able to find that same product from a different supplier.

If you are unable to find the same product from a different supplier, then I would suggest issuing your customer a refund and cancelling the order altogether. 

Regardless of what you decide to do, it would be a good idea to contact the customer as soon as possible and explain the situation so they're aware of what's going on and understand that there may be a delay before the order is shipped. 

To prevent this from happening in the future, I suggest either deleting the product or utilizing shipping profiles. Shipping profiles come in handy when products have regional availability and you need to restrict shipping on certain products to specific countries. You can learn more about shipping profiles and how to set them up here.

I hope this helps! Let me know which route you decide to take. 

dimaond
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi, what if I have one product that ships from multiple variants like China, France, Russia. I can't remove the option as it deletes the products and leaves me with no stock but I don't want it showing on the front end where the product ships from. 

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @dimaond!

Earlier in this thread, I shared a help doc from Oberlo on how to remove the "Ships From" variant from a product. There, you'll find that it's recommended that you choose one of the following options: 

If you choose to leave only one "Ships From" option, you can always choose a different variant when fulfilling orders. This will help you make sure that the correct "Ships From" variant is being ordered for your customers. 

The previous posts in this thread offer further guidance on how to handle the "Ships From" variants, so I strongly suggest taking a read through the rest of these posts. 

If you have any further questions, just let me know!

dimaond
Tourist
3 0 1

Fixed it, greats thanks

Doohan
Visitor
1 0 0

So if I remove all the variants of shipping from but "China" the last one, all the products will ship from China?

🙂

firefox
Visitor
1 0 0

Looks like this is more a work around than a fix, i am using DSers and the option some how still shows up see screenshot and I changed it to "collection" per the above suggestion