Reordering variants not updating still

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 3

I am using the React theme and have this issue.  I have read several posts from a few years ago about this bug which was supposed to be fixed and all threads are now closed, however when I update the reordering of variants it saves and then reverts back to the original.

I have two product options (product code and length).  Option "Length" has two possibilities: A and C.  I am adding a new variant with Length = B.  I want to reorder the list of Lengths to be A, B, C but it always reverts back to A, C, B.

Danielle

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
178 0 13

Hello,

Christine here from the Shopify Guru team - thanks for reaching out!

You are able to re-order the variants in the variant settings of the product:

Here is a document from our Shopify manual about how you can do that: https://help.shopify.com/manual/products/variants#changing-the-order-in-which-variants-are-shown-on-....

Hope that helps! Let us know if you need anything else. We are just a click away :)

Cheers,
Christine 
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 3

Hi Christine,

That is exactly what I've already tried. It doesn't keep the new order of variants after saving, as I mentioned in my post.  There appears to be a bug on Shopify's side as I contacted someone through your online chat who confirmed that the problem still exists in my store.

Danielle

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1 0 1

Experiencing the same issue as of this evening.

This seems especially unusual because I successfully reordered variants within the past week.

The only difference I can note is that the success occured with variants of simple unpunctuated strings, and the failure with numbers containg decimals.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 3

I ended up speaking with a Shopify expert who helped me figure out what was wrong in my case so perhaps it will work for you.  I have two drop down menus for my product options; first is style and second is length. 

For styles A, B, C, and D I offer 2 lengths, 28" and 32". Recently I started offering length 30" in style C only and Shopify would always display as 28", 32", 30" instead of incremental order.

It turns out that I needed to have style C as the first item in the first drop down menu of styled (I.e styles C, A, B, D) in order for the reordering of lengths to work. In my case it wasn't a big deal to do this since there is no set order I need for the styles. However this may not make sense for everyone's store.

0 Likes
Highlighted

June of 2020 and this issue still persists. Shopify expects all possible combinations to exist to keep the order of the options values in tact, but that doesn't align with the reality of merchant catalogs where some options only exist in limited variants. 

2 Likes
1 0 1

Not sure if this solution will work for everyone but it just worked for my store as I was experiencing this exact same problem. Try selecting all products first and then try reordering the variants again.

1 Like