Resizing slideshow images for desktop only

Excursionist
22 1 1

Hi. I've tried looking for how to resize the slideshow images only for desktop but didn't find any solution. The mobile view is just fine, so I don't to change anything to it. But the desktop version has the images so zoomed in and in bad quality. Is there is a way to fix it?

https://happyhomefactory.net/

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
474 27 66
Hey, there. 

Dallas here from the Social Care team here at Shopify. 

I took a look at your store and I see what you mean. The reason that that is happening is because the photos are really small and are low quality. Since these photos are JPEG files they'll be harder to resize in order to fit your desktop parameters while still maintaining the pixel quality that you're looking for. To be honest it's actually impossible. The best way to make an image bigger is by resizing a RAW file, but from the looks of your store you're dropshipping so, you wouldn't have access to that file. 

In this case, I suggest you do one of two things:

The first would be to go to a website like Burst and find photos that fit your niche to put in that first slideshow at the top of the page. This way you can have appealing photos that are still high-quality and will fit your website correctly. 

The other option is to choose a different theme that has a smaller slideshow height and width. Even still, you're images probably won't look quite right. So while you could do this I suggest you say with option #1. That way you won't have to redesign your whole theme again and you won't have to worry if any images are still too small. 

I mentioned the word "niches" earlier, so I wanted to bring it up and look into it a bit more. By the looks of it, you haven't really chosen a niche market yet. So your items aren't categorized to fit with a certain target audience yet. If you're unfamiliar with what a niche is it's basically a section of the market made up of a specific product or group of products. This link here has more information on what a niche is specifically.

When it comes to marketing a product it's really important to try and make sure that you choose a niche so that your customers don't get overwhelmed. At first, it could seem better to have a store with a large range of products, however, when you do that it makes it so that you're not ever really able to focus on one group of customers because you're splitting your resources to focus on all of them. Then your customers can get lost and that's when you have a low conversion, rate. Does that make sense? 

In the case of your store, you have items for the bathroom, the kitchen, the garden, as well of a variety of other places. I'm wondering if you thought of choosing a niche to make your website more targeted? This link here has a bit more information about why you should go about this and how you can proceed. http://bit.ly/2RspRmT

I look forward to hearing back from you and working with you further.  

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
22 1 1

@Dallas 

Thank you for taking the time to help. I've looked up the images in burst. They don't have the images I specifically need. And in terms of changing the theme. I agree. I don't want to change the whole thing. My last resort is hiding the slideshow from desktop. Can you help me with that? 

As for the niche. You're absolutely right. I am trying to specify my scope of audience. Before it was household goods as a category. Then I saw traffic but no sales, so i thought maybe it's the theme. Then changed the theme. still same problem. So now I am trying to expand the category a little bit more. When I run an ad. The ad will be about only this 1 product and link is to it's page. Instead of showcasing everything at once. Is that a good thing to do if my category is just a little broad but still somewhere relevant?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
474 27 66

Burst is an ever-growing platform of images so if you don't see them now you might find the images you want another time. In the meantime, though, you can go to Unsplash and see if there are some images that work for you there. It's a great platform also with some great images. 

I talked with the themes team and they said that they might be able to hide the slideshow for you on your mobile, but it won't actually remove it from your mobile. It'll just be that you won't be able to see it. What that really means is that you're loading times will still be "loading" the slideshow even though you won't see it because it'll still be loading in the back end of your website. Is this something that you still want to do? 

I want to preface what I say by sharing that all ads don't work automatically. It isn't something that you can just put money into and you'll magically make money. It's something that you're really going to want to work with and learn. The biggest thing is that you really need to know your customer base so that you can properly target your ads and then you're going to want to make some visually appealing ads so that they'll then catch your target markets eye and they'll be interested in clicking them. 

Have you come up with a full buyer persona yet? This is a great blog that goes into the details of buyer personas and all the things you need to take into consideration when creating one. Things like:

• Location - Where do people from this persona live?
  • Income Level - What is the income range of this buyer persona?
  • Language - What languages do people in this persona speak?
  • Favorite Websites - Why type of websites do people in this persona frequent? 

There are more question on that link that I shared so please be sure to take some time to go through that to figure out what it is that you're going to need to do to get your brand in front of your customers. After you do that you can think about making ads. Honestly, if you haven't done that don't even waste your money on creating ads because it will be a waste of money and time for you. 

Only after you have done that you should work through making ads for social media. This is a blog post that goes into social media marketing in a general sense so you're going to want to take a look over that to get an idea of what you should post and where you should post it. I can't stress it enough, but all of these steps are very important! 

So for right now, you should think of what it is that you really want to sell. What are you passionate about? If you're passionate you should be able to sell what you want. I'm not sure if you've seen the video clip on Wolf of Wallstreet, but Jordan was trying to get a guy to sell him a pen. Pens are pretty simple items, they're pretty common, right? Why should the customer buy that pen right then? In the end, the salesman created a scenario where the customer thought that he needed that pen at that moment. In the end, he would have made a sale. Interesting right? That's generally how it works. If you can find a way to make your customers feel like they need your products then you should be able to sell them. Now if the process of selling a simple pen to someone works, think about how well you could do if you were to sell a product that you were passionate about? 

I think what you need to do right now is take a bit of time to really think about what you're passionate about. Then after you've decided on a product take a bit of time to really establish a buyer persona and establish a marketing strategy. This will help you to make ads that work. Can you think about that and then come back to me with your findings. With further information, I think I should be able to help you even more. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

This is to Dallas... I don't normally reply to post on here, but after reading your reply, the only word I can think of is amazing! That was the most detailed, informative and helpful response I ever read in the Shopify Community forums, and I have read a lot! I just wanted to send a quick reply on here to let you know that. That was over and beyond helpful and to tell you the truth I actually learned some new information and totally got inspired myself just reading that short paragraph!

Thank you!

PS Is there a way I can get in contact with you if I have any questions or need help with anything??? 😃😃😃

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
474 27 66

Thank you so much and I'm so happy that you were able to be inspired! There isn't a way to get a hold of me directly, but I do spend a fair amount of time floating around in the forums so if you were to ever post in here it's possible that you'll end up speaking with me again. 

However, I'm happy to say that our Social Care Team is filled with some brilliant minds so if you were to ever speak with one of them then you will certainly be in good hands! 

Thank you again for the kind words. You're post made my day! 

1 Like