Same domain but different stores

5 0 0

Hi Aria

I have a similar but possibly more complex scenario. We are in the process of moving all our websites to Shopify and in fact already have one Shopify store operational at cannycollar.us.

The idea is to have have a minimum of three, or possibly four, Shopify sites:

• Site 1 - cannyco.com - based in the UK - linked to UK bank account - £GBP
  • Site 2 - cannyco.com.au - based in Australia - linked to Australian bank account - $AUD
  • Site 3 - cannyco.us - this is the site we currently have at cannycollar.us but which we intend to redirect to cannyco.us. Linked to US bank account - $USD
  • Possible Site 4 - cannyco.eu - multilingual site with the Langify app to have this in DE, FR, IT, ES and NL

Couple of queries/condundrums:

• Ignore sites 2 and 3 for Australia and the US, I mentioned this mainly because of the country selector functionality below. These will be stand alone sites, in English only, on the basic $29 a month plan.
  • With site 1, our current (Joomla) website at www.cannyco.com has 8 languages, including English and this is aimed mainly at our UK/European market. We have bought the relevant subdomains cannyco.fr, cannyco.es etc - could we upload these to cannyco.com and have, say, French translated content on cannyco.fr, German on cannyco.de etc? Could we also have a currency selector between £GBP and €EUR? And would this need the $79 a month plan?
  • Could we do the above without an app?
  • If we did need an app, my understanding is that using the Langify app, we could have a maximum of 5 languages per site if we were on the $79 a month plan. Which would mean we would have to lose 3 languages - or is there another way to do this?
  • With the idea of having a possible fourth site at cannyco.eu, the reasons for this were twofold. Firstly, it would give us one extra language if we just kept English only on cannyco.com and then could have 5 languages on cannyco.eu - meaning we only lose two languages total from our existig website. Secondly, for tax purposes and Brexit implications. We are a UK based company so sales within the UK would need to be charged at 20% VAT and as the EU will be treated as any other export market from Jan 1st, sales to this market would therefore be zero rated for VAT. So, because I would need two tax regimes, would I be able to do this on just the one site cannyco.com, having two currencies £GBP and €EUR and two possible tax configurations? Or would it be better to just have cannyco.com for the UK market in £GBP only and cannyco.eu for the European market in €EUR, both from a translated content (extra available language) and tax viewpoint?
  • Finally, how easy is it to have a country selector on all the Shopify sites which could direct people to the relevant site for them based on the criteria above (something similar to https://www.quadlockcase.com/ for example). So that on all of our three or four Shopify sites, we could redirect people to their correct country site, be that a separate main domain or a subdomain within either cannyco.com or cannyco.eu.

So my main conundrum is being able to make available the translated content for our customers in France, Germany etc on the subdomains cannyco.fr, cannyco.de etc, how best to arrange this so that the tax is calculated correctly and how to direct people to the right site for their country, despite them being on different domains and subdomains.

I hope I have explained this properly, sometime I even confuse myself! Any help much appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 256

Hey, @SeanMcEl!

You could certainly point 8 subdomains at one store, that would be no problem. 

You can translate your store into 5 additional languages without an app. If you do that, it actually creates language URL's so you wouldn't need your subdomains. If you definitely need 8 languages on one store then you would need an app

If you are using Shopify Payments, you don't need a currency selector. You could instead use our multi-currency checkout. It can be used on any plan, including the Basic Plan. It automatically displays the appropriate currency based on the customer's location, assuming they are in a country where Shopify Payments exists. Shopify Payments is currently available in the following countries: 

If for some reason our Multi-Currency checkout is not suitable for your business, you certainly could use an app instead to create a currency selector. This would mean the checkout would always be in the same currency though. 

We have 50 language apps in our app store. It's possible you may find one that can handle more than five languages. Depending on the cost of the app, it may make sense to just have two stores on the $29 plan with 4 languages on each, that way you could use the in-built option rather than an app. If you decide to do that, you can duplicate the first store so you don't have to completely build it twice. 

VAT is a little complicated because it's normal to have it included in the price. In North America, sales tax is added on to the price at checkout. Our system can handle different tax rates for different US states and charge them at checkout. Currently, it does not remove VAT that is included in a price so you would either need two separate stores or an app for that such as Tax Exempt Manager. This has been requested a lot as an in-built feature by European merchants, our developers are aware there is a need for it but I can't say for certain when it is likely to happen. 

When you are using the in-built language translator, there is a geolocator to automatically send the customer to the most relevant website based on their location. 

We can do discounts when you need to have more than one store for language or currency reasons. We don't discount the Basic Plan but if you had one store on the Shopify Plan at $79 USD per month, we would give you the second and subsequent stores on the same Shopify Plan for the discounted rate of $29 USD per month. They must be the same brand, same products, only the language, currency and location can be different. This is something to keep in mind if you want some of the features of the $79 Plan but don't want to pay $79 for more than one store (understandable). You can find the details of what is included in each plan in this guide

It's a complex scenario for sure but hopefully, I have managed to answer your questions. Feel free to let me know if it has raised more questions and I'll be happy to chat further.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
5 0 0
Hi Aria

Thank you for your comprehensive reply, I really appreciate that you have looked at every detail, you have clarified a lot! Fantastic customer service.

I have one or two more things to clear up please:

You said it would be no problem having 5 additional languages without an app but I could get more languages using one. The support at Langify told me that their app also has a limit of 5 languages and that the limit had been introduced for langify v2 by the Shopify Translations API. So it sounds like Shopify have imposed a 5 language limit anyway?
I could do 5 languages on one site and up to 5 on another without using an app, is that correct? And the checkout process is translated automatically?
If the checkout process is translated automatically by location, how can I test/troubleshoot each translation? I live in Spain and so it sounds like the checkout would default to Spanish - is this correct? I would like to be able to check and test the other languages but not sure how if I cannot affect the Geolocation.
The native Shopify translation creates language URLs but my understanding is that the product name cannot be changed in the languages but the rest of the URL can. Is this correct? For the products, this is not a problem but I have some information pages (not product pages) where the translated URLs would need to contain keywords in the respective languages.
We will be using Shopify Payments so will use the multi-currency checkout. However, we will need our prices to display in Europe as a set price, not with a real time conversion. Is it possible to amend the pricing per language?
Thanks for pointing me to the Tax Exempt Manager app but this only works for B2B customers where a VAT ID number can be entered, not for everyday B2C customers that just want to buy a single product. So it sounds like we will need one store for our UK customers (VAT included in the price), one store for 5 additional languages and another store for the remaining 2 languages (VAT not included in the price for both of these). That’s a lot of stores!
If we went with one store on the Shopify Plan at $79 per month, how would we get the additional discounts applied to the other plans? We currently have one live store set up on the basic plan at cannyco-usa.myshopify.com and are currently working on another at cannyco-usa.myshopify.com. It looks like we would eventually need:
cannyco-usa.myshopify.com (USA - English only)
cannyco-uk.myshopify.com (UK - English only)
cannyco-aus.myshopify.com (Australia/NZ - English only)
cannyco-eu.myshopify.com (Europe - 5 languages)
cannyco-eu2.myshopify.com (Europe - 2 remaining languages)

They will be all the same brand, products etc but we have three separate companies, one in the UK (which would run the UK and European sites) and others in the US and Australia which would run their own sites. So would we be able to get one site on the Shopify Plan and 4 others on the same plan but for $29 a month each?

Thank you once again for your attention to detail. We have a complex set up so I just want to make sure we get it right from the beginning as much as possible.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 256

Hey, @SeanMcEl!

I did not know about that but it's possible there is an API limit with the languages. I can look into that for sure. Yes, you could have two stores with 5 languages on each store without the need for an app, no problem and the checkout process is translated automatically, if you are using the multi-currency checkout.

The default language would be the one you create your store in. Do you have staff speaking each language who could test the store for you in the different translations? You would also have the ability to switch between languages to test it yourself. 

Yes, there are some limitations of the translation, they are listed here

When you set up the multi-currency checkout, you can have set prices in each currency, it doesn't need to fluctuate. I did this myself when I set my own up. This also means you can have logical pricing, such as $12, instead of $11.53 (for example).

You will need to contact us to have the discount applied to your additional stores. I will send you an email and you can reply to that. Alternatively, you can reach out to the support team. All staff are capable of escalating this to the billing team for you. The easiest way to do it is to start the free trial on all stores at once, choose the plans and enter your payment method then we have time to get the escalation resolved well before the first billing date. We don't bill you until after the 14-day trial is over, even if you choose a plan before then. If you're eventually going to need 5 stores, this is a good deal because you could have all of them on the Shopify plan for $195 per month when it would normally cost $395. It's worth mentioning Shopify Plus at this point. If you find the stores are going to collectively make at least $1million USD (equivalent) per year, it could be worth switching to Plus at that point because you can then have one account with unlimited stores and save money on the credit card fees.

If you have different staff running each store, that is fine but you would need to ensure they are all the same brand with the same products to get the multi-store discount.

0 Likes
5 0 0
Hi Aria

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated (and also for your reply re the multi store discount). Regarding not needing a translation app, this is the message that appeared to me today (attached) when I added another language. So you need an app after all? Or is this because I am on the $29 plan, not the $79 one?

With the multi-currency checkout where you can have set prices in each currency, is this only available on the $79 plan also?

And with Shopify Plus, I’m guessing that is billed to one company only? If so, that’s not a problem as we can just reinvoice out the costs to each of the other companies.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 256

Hey, @SeanMcEl!

I don't see the error message you are referring to.

Translating your store is not plan dependent, it is available on all plans. Were you trying to change the admin language or the theme language? If it was the theme, which theme are you using?

Multi-currency is also available on all plans. 

Yes, each Shopify Plus account would be billed to one company. 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi, my website is glitching and it freezes. It’s preventing customers from buying. My website is missfashionee.com. Please help!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 256

Hey, @MF16!

I took a look at your store and can't seem to replicate the issue you are having.

It's way easier for us to troubleshoot if we can speak to you in real-time to ask you questions. 

If it continues to happen please try a different browser to see if it happens on more than one browser. Please also clear the cache on your browser. If that doesn't solve it, please contact our support. You can speak to us using online chat. Alternatively, you can reach out on Facebook Messenger or Twitter DM.

0 Likes
1 0 0

We have the same problem.

we use www.dancingqueens.ch for Switzerland in DE, IT, FR and EN and need higher prices and special content.

we use www.DancingQueensShoes.com fot the rest of the world, planned in DE and EN, maybe FR and ES. We need there lower prices and different content pages for example FAQ.

can we merge the two shops and connect the domains?

- you know more about the release date for the feature of different prices?

- are individual content pages possible? 
thanks for your answer.

we have to set up efullfillment with a partner and are unsure which shop we should connect as a lot of DE orders come through the swiss shop as we have still more traffic there and it would be nice to know which shop is the important one in the future.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
768 25 256

Hey, @Bettina_gimenez!

Technically you could merge your store by exporting information from one to import to another. You can't merge domains as such but you can have it set up to direct people to the appropriate domain depending on their location.

I apologize, I don't know what you mean by this:

- you know more about the release date for the feature of different prices?

You can have different content pages for different locations if you use an app such as Locksmith to dictate which locations can see certain content. 

0 Likes