Same domain but different stores

mikepng
7 0 0

Dear Shopify community,

I was wondering how i could create an EU store and a US store with the same domain so it will be easier for the taxes of my shop

For example

www.us.mydomain.com and www.eu.mydomain.com

I would appreciate if someone can explain me how this works 

Thank you in advance

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 273

Hey!

Aria here, one of the Social Care gurus at Shopify. :)

Before I answer your question, let me explain a bit about domains. When you purchase a domain, you get one root domain and you can also have subdomains. You can have more than one subdomain. 

A root domain looks like this: domain.com

Here are a few examples of possible subdomains: 

www.domain.com
shop.domain.com
us.domain.com
eu.domain.com

To answer your question, you could have eu.domain.com or us.domain.com but www.us.domain.com isn't possible. 

Your root domain can only be pointed at one of your Shopify stores but you can set up two subdomains and point one of them at each store. Your subdomain can be your Primary domain for that store. 

You don't mention if you purchased your domain from Shopify or if it's a third-party domain. If you purchased it from Shopify, this is what you would do: 

On the store where you purchased the domain, go to Online Store > Domains > Manage

If it's a third-party domain, the process is similar, you just need to create the subdomain without your domain account rather than Shopify. In your domain account, make sure your A record is pointed at Shopify's IP address which is 23.227.38.32. Next, you'd set up two different subdomains and make sure the CNAME for each one is pointed at shops.myshopify.com. Next, go to your admin for each store and go to Online Store > Domains then click Add existing domain.

You can find more information on managing domains in this guide.

I hope this makes it easier to understand. We're always here for support if you need it. :)

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

gustavomorris
3 0 0

Hello,

I have multiple stores and I would like to follow the steps you're explaining. However, do I need each store to be on a separate account? Or an all the store be under one shopify account?

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 273

Hey, @gustavomorris!

I apologize, I didn't see your question until now.

You can only have one store per Shopify account unless you're on Shopify Plus which is our enterprise-level service. Shopify Plus plans are custom but they start at $2000 USD per month. 

We can provide a multi-store discount if you have identical stores but for different countries so the currency and/or language is different. If one store was on the Shopify Plan ($79 USD per month), you can get the second and subsequent stores for $29 USD per month. If it was on the Advanced Plan at $299 per month, the second and subsequent stores would be on the same plan for $79 USD per month.

Please contact our support team if you'd like to set this up.

0 Likes
gustavomorris
3 0 0
Hello Aria,
I am a little confused with your comment. Does that mean I can get a discount if I have identical store even though I am not using shopify plus?
Also, what's the criteria to get the discount?
All my stores have the same template, belong to the same company (Centennial Foodservice). The only reason why I have separate stores is because some of their products are different, their prices are different and their delivery methods vary.
Please let me know and thanks

Thanks

Gustavo Morris
Centennial Foodservice
1, 4412 Manilla Road SE
Calgary, AB T2G 4B7
P 403 287 4623
M 403 805 8449
[cid:image001.jpg@01D6829A.06114D60] [c2c] [BC LogoWith mapleLeafburst]

This email message, and any files transmitted with it are confidential and privileged information, proprietary to CENTENNIAL FOODSERVICE. This transmission is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you, the reader, of this message are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you have received this message in error and any unauthorized dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error please contact the sender immediately

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 273

Hey, @gustavomorris!

Yes, you can get the discounts I mentioned, if you have identical stores, even if you're not on Shopify Plus.

The criteria to get the discount is that the stores must be on the Shopify Plan ($79 USD per month for the first store) or above and they must be carbon copies of each other. The only differences can be currency or language or both. It's fine if the delivery methods vary but the products can't be different.

Let me know if you still have questions.

0 Likes
LuisChajon
2 0 0

Hi Aria, We have a similar situation here, please let me know how is the best way to proceed.

We are moving our store from Magento to Shopify. We are hosted in Nexcess and our domain is in Godaddy.

We have around 200 items in our store, we sold to US and Canada, so we have 2 languages English and French, I install a translator and our store is capable of display in both languages.

Our problem is in the prices, we don't make a conversion, instead we have two different prices one for CAD and other for USD, also we ship from Quebec to Canada, and from NY to USA.

We are planning to have 2 stores, one for each country, but we want to be pointed to only one domain eg: (www.ourstore.com), and if the customers are in the US by geolocalization target the US Store, and the same for the Canadian customers to the CA Store.

I'm wondering if is necessary and possible to simply add sub-directories like /US and /CA, or of there is another solution.

Thanks, for your answer 

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 273

Hey, @LuisChajon!

There are a couple of options, depending on which credit card gateway you're choosing to use. 

If you're using Shopify Payments, you can set up Multi Currency Checkout. This allows you to have just one store (which you can use your translator on for different languages) but the checkout is capable of many different supported currencies. You can edit the price in each currency. 

If you're not using Shopify Payments, then you can have two different stores with the discount I mentioned above. You could then use a geolocation app to direct customers to their local store. 

You can have one domain pointed at two different stores but the root domain would only point at one store, you can set up a subdomain only to point at the other one. You could have usa.example.com and canada.example.com, perhaps.

Does that help?

0 Likes
LuisChajon
2 0 0

Hi

Thank you for your response, but is not really my solution, because our prices are not based on a conversion, instead they are different is US$, for example some item can cost US$ 119 and CAD 149, but other can cost US$ 199 and CAD 229. Its like to have two different list prices one in CAD and the other in US$.

I see the solution in the announcement, I would like to know when this feature will be available? We have plans to launch the store in Shopify by October 25.

https://www.shopify.com/cross-border

LuisChajon_0-1600266863851.png

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
812 27 273

If you're using Shopify Payments, it would be a solution as long as you're on the Shopify, Advanced Shopify, or Shopify Plus plan. You can set the exchange rate manually. This allows you to lock in a fixed rate for each currency you have enabled, and you won't have to worry about fluctuating exchange rates. Your prices won't change with the market rates. You can find more information on this guide.

The new feature for customizing pricing for non-Shopify Payments countries will be available soon but we don't yet have a launch date. You can find the most recent updates in our Changelog

0 Likes