Save data in customer account

Solved
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to write html/css/script so that data can be stored in the customer account. For instance, if a customer submits a quote with us (using a contact form), the quote itself would save at the customer's account. As for the default Shopify setup, the once a contact form is submitted, we will receive an email stating there's a new message from a customer. However, I do want to save the data at that customer's account and reply from there. It's just so that when the customer login to their account, they can always review the quote offer from us. 

I do see a website who is also using Shopify and they were able to complete this kind of thing. Have someone done the same thing and will be able to share the codes? Thank you!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
89 10 16

Hello, @Lux-ent

Emma here from Shopify. 

I'm not personally familiar with how (or if it's possible) to code in what you're looking to do with the customer accounts, but there could be another member of the community here that might be able to chime in on that. 

In the meantime, I did want to let you know that there are a number of apps in the Shopify app store that might be suitable for your needs! I'll list a couple for you below: 

Globo - Request a Quote

Bonify - Customer Account Fields 

Wishing you much success, and please don't hesitate to reach out if we can help! 

Emma | Shopify Support 

-Emma- | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hi Emma,

Thank you for the suggestions. I would still prefer everything to be coded, instead of using an app. And, with the 2 apps, it still won't save data from the quote to the customer account. But thank you! I will wait and see if someone else has an idea of how to implement it. 

1 Like

Success.

Shopify Partner
1843 170 537

Chiming in.

You won't be able to walk away without an app for this one. If not a ready-made one as @-Emma- suggested, then a custom made one. I won't make assumptions about your skills and budget about whether this is feasible or not, but developing an app is way more effort than writing HTML, CSS and some script so in the end, a ready-made app would be a viable option if such an app exists.

And that suggestion doesn't come lightly from me - if you search through 99% of my answers, I am not one to easily suggest using apps.

The main issue here is in your requirement to be able to link a customer account with prior quotes. I am not entirely sure of all your requirements and the exact scope of what said quotes entail, but you'd either need to create metafields on the customer object upon quote submission, or create draft orders upon quote submission. Either of those can only be done using the Shopify Admin API which cannot be used from a store and must be used via an app i.e. you would need to develop, host and maintain one. That would take care of storing the data when a customer submits said form.

Then you would need to read and display that data in your store under the customer account page which would require an app proxy in order to enrich the existing template with your apps data and show the customer their quotes history. That all and some HTML, CSS and possibly scripts.

You could use customer notes field to submit extra quote data, but that would be a very limited, possibly entirely useless workaround because they cannot be displayed back and with each new quote, the old one would maybe be overwritten (not sure about that, haven't tried) or you'd run out of space in the note field. Ergo, no good.

Last but not least, you could leave out Shopify ecosystem entirely and use something like Google Forms or Airtable or Firebase, but hey, now I am consulting pro bono and the clock just zeroed in. 

Hope this helps!

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hi Karl,

Thank you for the long response! That really helps me understand what I am concerning and confusing about. I am currently working with Shopify experts but I just want to check and see if this would work before I ask them about doing this since the experts are currently working on something else that I have requested. I will speak with the experts and see if they can come up with something to make this easier or something to help :) 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 170 537

Sure, no problem. Feel free to ask anytime! Hope that all goes well.

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 1
Thank you!
0 Likes