Selling Beats With Audio Previews

Highlighted
1 0 1

Greetings,

I have been researching an embedded audio player that plays tracks in a list (NO GRID) with buy buttons next to each preview. Soundcloud and Bandcamp have their own buy buttons on the embedded players, but I would prefer people buy my music from Shopify instead of linking away to another site. I'm sure shopify wants this too.

Here's and image of what I'm talking about:

robin-soundee-beatstore-player.jpg

Trying to achieve this using the custom html and custom buy buttons makes the page load super slow, and looks terrible on mobile. 

Also, I have hundreds of beats so navigating through countless product pages would be less than intuitive.

I just want a list of beats on my homepage with buy buttons next to each beat. Beatstars, Airbit, Soundclick etc all have this but they advertise other artists on their page. So I'm here trying to do the same without the ads.

Has anyone achieved anything similar to this? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
568 45 126

Hey, @Erik_Peder!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I can definitely see how having your beats listed on your homepage along with buy buttons would be a great feature. While you're correct in that Soundcloud and Bandcamp offer this functionality, you can also achieve this in Shopify with the use of an app. 

I took a look at a few apps in the Shopify App Store to see if there are any available apps that may suit your needs and I did manage to find a couple of options. Both Osaria Audio Player and Single Music offer you the ability to display your beats on your online store, much like the screenshot you've shared, along with an option to preview and purchase albums and individual tracks.

While both apps offer the functionality you're looking for, it looks like the track list layout with Single Music more closely resembles your screenshot, whereas Osaria Audio Player seems to utilize a grid-style format and displays beats on individual product pages. Unlike Osaria Audio Player, Single Music also gives you the ability to email customers their audio files post-purchase, offers analytics, integrates with music streaming platforms, and even allows you to upload multiple files simultaneously. If you'd like to learn more about Single Music, you can explore more features, check out their blog, and access their live chat here.

Nonetheless, both of these apps have pretty good reviews and are definitely worth checking out. I recommend taking a look at each of their About pages, where you can read more about each app, view screenshots, and even view an example store so you can see the app in action. If you are ever requiring support with apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly via the Support section on their app pages. As previously mentioned, Single Music also offers live chat, which you can access from their website. 

As you continue working on your store, I recommend checking out our blog post, "How to Make Money with Music: 6 Reliable Ways for Musicians to Monetize". There are a lot of great tips in there on how you can expand your business with streaming royalties, merchandise, and through selling your beats as samples. There's also a case study in this post that highlights a hip-hop producer from Alaska who used Shopify to build a successful global hip-hop business. I think you'll find it pretty inspiring!

I hope this leads you in the right direction and I'd love to hear more about your music. What kind of music do you produce? Are you already selling your beats on Shopify, or other platforms?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there,

I too am making a store to sell my beats on so today I looked into Single and to upload your music there you need a UPC or ISRC code which is something you only get by also being signed up with a digital streaming platform like DistroKid or Tunecore. These streaming platforms are for artists to sign up to not producers are they not? The beats I make are for artists to lease. I’m certain there is another alternative to using Single and having to sign with a digital streaming platform while still being able to sell beats on Shopify, isn’t there? Websites like Beatstars or Airbit you don’t need to be signed with one.

Anyways I hope that made sense. Please let me know if you know of any Shopify stores that lease beats to artists.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
568 45 126

Hey, @Pelletier1!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. That's correct; it does look like Single requires you to have a UPC or IRSC code in order to use their app. Aside from Single, have you looked into any of the other options listed above? 

Scouring the comments section in our Shopify Blogs, I managed to find some examples of similar Shopify stores that sell their beats, including Modern Producers, The Producer Kit, The Drum Broker, and Samples from Mars. These should help inspire and guide you as you continue working on your own.

Are you a Reddit user? If so, this would also be a great question to ask on Reddit, as I'm sure there are subreddits specifically for artists who sell music online. As a starting point, here's a Reddit post on using Shopify to sell beats; feel free to chime in there if you're looking for advice on which apps and/or streaming platforms will work best for you. 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey again,

Wow, thank you for the amazing reply, I will definitely check out those websites you linked. I figured out how to use digital downloads and I think that’s how I’m going to upload all my music. Currently I’m just uploading all of them to my store and then I’m going to figure out a way to link the image of each product with the YouTube video that plays the beat for the customer so they can preview it. Thanks again for the reply, take care out there!

0 Likes