Selling Fabric by Length

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

I am new to Shopify and i am looking for options to sell fabrics online. Is there an option in Shopify to have the quantity in decimals or to have a drop down mentioning all possible lengths of the fabric.

I want to maintain just one inventory for the fabric (not based on the different length possibilities). For Eg If 20 yards of fabric is available then then user should be able to enter 4.5 in the quantity if they need 4.5 yards (then the inventory should reduce to 15.5 ) or in the drop down we should be able to specify all lengths possible (say 2,2.5,3,3.5,4,4.5,5,5.5,6,6.5,7,7.5,8,8.5,9,9.5,10,10.5,11,11.5 ...20) If a user selects 4.5 then the total quantity should reduce to 15.5. Is either of these options possible?

Your help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,

Saigan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
2684 67 841

Hi Saigan, 

If you set up your product as one tehth of the yard, then customer will be able to buy 45 "pieces" to get 4.5 yards of fabric?

If you do not like customers entering 45 instead of 4.5 -- this can be "masqueraded" with some modifications to your theme. Inernally you will still be selling 45 pieces, but user will see 4.5 yards when ordering and in the cart. 

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
I am away till Feb-15.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 1

You wont be able to do it, Shopify says you cant sell in decimals, said here:

HunkyBillShopify Expertexperts.shopify.com/resistor-software

December 10, 2013

Quantity is an integer. You cannot buy 0.333 of a t-shirt. You cannot by 1.875 of a dog collar. You cannot buy 99.99 of a box of pretzels. 

Well, i dont want to get mad, but a fabrics sells 2.5m of a product, also if you sell dog food or something, you should let your customer sell in the quantity the want...or maybe this is just a technical issue that they can not get fixed...so sad...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey Saiganesh_Chida, we have built a Shopify app to Sell Fabric Online. Click here if you would like to schedule a quick demo of the app.

Iphone-FSA

The app lets you sell in Yards or Meters in the following increments.

• 1/4 or 0.25
  • 1/2 or 0.50
  • 1/10 or 0.1 or 10cm
  • 1/100 or 0.01 or 1cm
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

This seems all well and good until I get to pricing.  $100 a month fee plus a set up fee?  Can you tell me why it costs that much money every single month just to have the ability to sell fractions of fabric?

0 Likes
Highlighted

Because it's extraordinary difficult and I want to provide you the best customer service possible. But there are no long term contracts and I'm happy to remove the app if you are unhappy.

I do my best with each customer to help you level up your store beyond just adding fractional increments, our onboarding is to help make sure you are successful. You get the distilled wisdom of 3+ years of the best practices for building fabric stores on Shopify. But one on one time to ask deeper questions about how you will run the day to day of your store is the real value for you as a store owner. There is not a job in a fabric store I have not personally done.

0 Likes