Shipping carrier default

Ben31
Explorer
72 2 47

I thought that was the case but I couldn't remember, the drop-down got a new look, a slight animation and a new paste button but then it no-longer accepted keyboard entry - right?

I talked to Shopify almost two months ago and something was rolled-back because the paste button got removed but the keyboard issue remained.

It may seem small but its actually painful if its something you do many times per day.

coolcity
Excursionist
18 0 12

Yes, the update allows you to paste a tracking number in from the clipboard (which for us is only very occasionally useful), BUT got rid of the ability to select a carrier by typing the first letter and jumping to that letter. We now have to hit the scroll bar 5 times to scroll to the part where we can select our carrier.

But it shouldn't be like that in the first place, we should simply be allowed to set a default carrier. It's ridiculous that such a simple task has been made far more complicated than it should be, or needs to be. I despair sometimes that technology has made so much progress in the past few decades yet we can't do a simple thing like this and nobody at Shopify seems to care. I'm no expert but surely it can't be that much of a job to impliment it? 

Pat_Troy1
Excursionist
12 0 9

I’m using the mobile app in the post office. 
up to 20x daily and each time after I scan the QR code for tracking I have to scroll to find the same carrier choice. 
it’s mind numbingly dumb. 
and obviously so easy to fix.

let me edit my own list of carriers. 

Or at the very least let me change the order of the list of carriers. 

0 Likes
Ben31
Explorer
72 2 47

Making a drop-down menu adhere to basic usability standards is actually basic and an easy bug fix (truly, I've built many websites over the years) but at Shopify, this stuff seems to get bogged-down in complexity, corporate structure and inter-departmental segmentation of work.

Setting a default carrier is a feature request but stopping keyboard entry on the carrier drop-down is a bug - it's been months, just get it fixed.

As Shopify has grown, so too has the disconnect between corporate structure and the reality on the ground.

It's sad and painful sorry.

Andrew-at-bemo
Tourist
6 0 1

Yes I'm looking to do exactly the same thing.   Ours defaults to a UK express carrier ... which is quite annoying as we are in NZ and virtually all shipments are NZ Post!
Sorry don't have an answer - but would like Shopify to fix it.   Also, it's now a roll-bar you cant even type in the first letters which is faster than scroll down to N ... grr

Andrew

Ben31
Explorer
72 2 47

Yes, this is still a constant frustration sorry.

It's one thing that Shopify now doesn't auto-select the correct carrier based on the number. But it's a basic usability error that the carrier drop-down doesn't accept keyboard entry so that you could type 'ne' and have it instantly find 'New Zealand Post' (or similar).

If you work at Shopify, scroll to point 3 in this UX Research Article: 5 Common Usability Pitfalls of Custom Designed Drop-Downs

Try manually fulfilling 1,200+ orders per year - it's mind-numbing sorry (and silly).

Please, just fix the bug first, then work on auto-selecting the correct carrier based on the number.

coolcity
Excursionist
18 0 12

Yes, there are three issues here. 

The first two are the fact that you can't set a default carrier, and that you can no longer type the first character or two so that the list jumps to the carrier you want to choose. 

But the third issue is the fact that you cannot contact anybody at Shopify that is able to take quick action on the matter to actually fix it. 

Come on Shopify, this should a simple fix to a very necessary issue that millions of your customers are having to put up with on a daily basis. Always remember that we are your customers and we are paying you to provide this service - something which the big two marketplace platforms lost sight of a long time ago.

Please don't go down the same route as they did. Your success has happened for a reason. We made the website a priority and signed up with Shopify because of frustrations with those other platforms, the lack of control over our business, simple issues that were time consuming that have never been addressed. This is important, and needs sorting now. 

For everybody else, please keep supporting this and pushing it back to the top, as well as contacting Shopify separately about it. It's the only way that anybody is likely to take enough notice of it to do anything about it. 

Ben31
Explorer
72 2 47

Agreed, a lack of responsiveness and a lack of visibility on feature requests are huge issues with Shopify in themselves - visibility on feature requests and the future are actually really easy issues to solve when you have money and resources (like Shopify).

Like all merchants, our businesses are linked with theirs so it's painful to watch - it frankly hurts.