Shopify theme BV IMPLEMENTATION is creating duplicate H1 and title tags

KristinB
Tourist
3 0 0

Our Shopify theme is creating duplicate H1 and title tags in our blog. I use SEMrush as my SEO tool and it is giving us errors because of this. I can provide the full blog code if that will help. I am trying to figure out what I can change in the code to correct this. If you can help I would really appreciate it.

0 Likes
Coder007
Excursionist
22 0 0

Hi Kristin,

Please share URL or share screenshot. 

If you want to design or customize your store, Hire us.
Email: coderguy6@gmail.com
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
296 24 88

Looks like something related to the Google translate feature.

KieranR_0-1626401327801.png

If you want multiple languages a far better (for SEO) approach is to have separate language versions of URLs and a consistent hreflang config. This typically takes the form of sub-domain (eg: fr.mysite.com, mysite.com) or ccTLD (eg: mysite.fr, mysite.com), or sub-folder (eg: mysite.com/fr or mysite.com/en). 

Relying on the Google translate JS is a bit of a hack and doesn't do you any favours for non-English visibility or clicks in organic.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/cross-border/multilingual-online-store#urls-and-seo

Doing that would also mean you can remove the dependency on the Google Translate script. A short term fix here may be to edit the theme (it looks like this is H1 being inserted by JS), but this is potentially a much issue than a dupe H1 warning in SEMrush. 

Also worth checking out apps like WeGlot - but SEO i18n (internationalization) can become a little complex to sort out in an optimal way.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
KristinB
Tourist
3 0 0
That is interesting. This is a teachable moment for me. Can you explain what it is about Google translate that creates the duplicate H1 and title tags?
0 Likes
KieranR
Shopify Partner
296 24 88

Honestly don't know why they do this, that's just how it appears to be setup on your site. All I'm suggesting is to explore the theme code and based on a 2min look at devtools, I starting near the Google Translate JS is not a bad idea...   

If you're not famil, or if the theme doesn't have an option to "turn off" Google Translate, then you may need to get a dev to help, or start figuring out code yourself.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.