Shopify theme license

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hello,
I build a new theme and want to sell it in the market but before that, I want to make sure that no one can use it without purchasing the theme license. How I can do this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3053 228 498

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @gautam_s14,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I did some investigation and spoke to our Theme Partner Managers team about this for you. They mentioned the following to me:

"The Shopify Theme Store is not like other theme marketplaces, as we do not accept individual submitted themes for listing. Instead, we look for Theme Partners to work with us on providing the themes for the store. As the Shopify Theme Store has an extremely high level in terms of requirements and criteria, it is vital to us that we find the correct Theme Partners to supply those themes. We aim to work with the chosen Theme Partners on a long-term basis to create the themes we feel are relevant for our merchants using Shopify.
As you may be aware, we announced a forthcoming update to the Online Store Editor whereby sections are being added to all areas of the store. Other areas like Product Pages, Cart Page, etc will be getting the UX abilities that were previously restricted to only the Home Page. This is a huge undertaking by Shopify to vastly improve the customizable elements for the store. Naturally, this has a massive impact on the structure and nature of themes. Due to this, we won’t be accepting any new Theme Partner applications until the update has launched and all current themes on the Shopify Theme Store are live with the new functionality. We do not have any timelines on when the application process may be open again but is likely to later in 2020. As for seeling your theme on other marketplaces, you will have to reach out to them on any licensing provisions they offer."

I hope this helps and answers your question.

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

@Nick Okay, thanks for the information.

1 Like