Social sharing image not working

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have uploaded an image in Preferences, but the image is blank when I try to post a link to my store on Facebook. If I link to any other page than the main address, I get an image, but not the main shop page.

Also, I have updated the Home Page Title and Meta Description, but these changes are not showing when I post a link.

The store is https://sdivadesigns.myshopify.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Hi, @kadamczyk!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Which theme are you using? Some themes offer you the ability to choose a social media image for your online store directly through the theme editor in Online store > Theme > Customize > Theme settings. If your theme offers this option, then the social media image you choose in your theme settings will override any social sharing image settings from Online store > Preferences.

Do you see an option to add a social media sharing image there? If so, then you will need to add the social media image through the theme editor.

However, if your theme does not offer the option through the theme editor, then it sounds like you may need to use the Facebook Sharing Debugger to refresh the information that is saved for your page links. Typically, it will take Facebook a few days to update this information, but the Facebook Sharing Debugger should speed up the process.

I hope this helps. Feel free to respond here and let me know which theme you're using and whether the Facebook Sharing Debugger does the trick.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

When I place a new image in for social media it's defaulting back to my logo - and logo is half chopped off when sharing link. I really want my image and not the logo but not working. Desperately need help

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Hey, @batecolifestyle!

Thanks for joining in on the conversation. It sounds like your social media sharing image has not yet been updated. As mentioned above, it can take Facebook a few days to update this information. However, using the Facebook Sharing Debugger should help speed up the process, as it will force a refresh. Have you tried doing so yet? 

As for your logo appearing to be "chopped off", it's likely that the image file you've selected for your logo doesn't meet Facebook's size requirements. If you are also experiencing the same problem with the new image you have uploaded, then you'll just need to ensure that your image is the correct size. Facebook actually has a help doc on images in link shares that outline these specifications. You can check that out here.

Once you give the Facebook Sharing Debugger a try, please let me know how that goes!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

My social sharing image is set up and working fine, BUT it was my understanding that was for general site social sharing (home page, blog, etc.) and not product-specific social sharing so, imagine my surprise when I tested social sharing of a product and it pulled in the default social sharing image instead of the product image from that product page.  This should be common coding on all Shopify themes (in this instance, using Boundless) as the main reason to use the Shopify platform is to sell products and, well, if you're sharing a product on social media, it would be a good think to actually have the image of the product shared.  Please advise a fix for this. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Hey, @wildworks!

I appreciate you joining the conversation.

You're right - Shopify's free themes, including Boundless, are designed to display the featured image for a page when you share that particular page link on social media; if you're posting a link to a product page, then the product image should appear as the featured image. 

That being said, the image that's used is also dependent on the social media platform you're sharing your link on. In the event that the social media platform cannot pull an image from the product page, then the image from Online store > Preferences will be used.

Which social media platform are you sharing your product links on? Do you have an example of a link that you can share with me? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Just the standard three - Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.  The site is currently locked with a password as we haven't yet launched, but the share doesn't work either in editor mode nor after having logged in - it keeps pulling the default site social image vs. the product image.    

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
681 50 152

Thanks for the further information, @wildworks!

With your storefront password enabled, this is expected behaviour, since external websites will only be able to pull information from the password page. Any content beyond that, including product pages, will remain hidden until the password is disabled. Once you remove the storefront password, you should notice your product images appear when you share product links.

Before you remove your password and launch your store, however, I suggest taking a look at our Essential Store Launch Checklist. This is a great resource to help you ensure you've completed all the necessary steps prior to launching. If you're looking for feedback on your store before you launch, I also recommend sharing your store link in the Store Feedback discussion board here in the Community Forums (keep in mind that you'll need to provide your storefront password in your post if the store is still protected).

I hope this clears things up, but let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your launch!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Thanks, @Julie.  I hope you're right (I thought that it should work if I logged in with the password, but it still did not, so I will have to wait and test once we've launched and troubleshoot it further then, if necessary). 

Highlighted
1 0 1

Using the debugger worked for me right away. I was experiencing the same issue. Thanks!