Social sharing image not working

1 0 0

I have a similar issue. I updates my social sharing image to a photo instead of just my logo. The new photo appears on some platforms (such as Facebook) but not on LinkedIn (if i post the URL the social sharing image still appears as just the logo). How do I update this across the entire web? I already updated the Social Sharing image within my customized theme preferences and the regular website preferences

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
764 56 180

Hey, @george65!

Glad to hear that your social sharing image is appearing correctly on most platforms, like Facebook.Are you noticing that the incorrect image is being shared anywhere else? Since this issue seems to be specific to LinkedIn, I took a look at some LinkedIn resources to see how this can be resolved. 

It turns out that LinkedIn offers a Post Inspector, which is similar to Facebook's Sharing Debugger. From there, you can simply enter your site URL and hit the "Inspect" button. The updated share image will then be shown on the preview. Once that's done, I suggest trying to share your URL on LinkedIn again to see if the update took effect. 

If you're still noticing that your logo is appearing rather than the social sharing image you set in Shopify, then this might indicate that LinkedIn is still updating your store's information. In this case, you can follow LinkedIn's instructions on how to customize an image and title when posting a URL on your LinkedIn page. This is a little workaround that should allow you to change the image that appears when you share your URL on an as-needed basis. 

As for updating your image across rest of the web, the image that's shared should be the same one you set in Shopify, but if you are noticing issues with other platforms, let me know!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
1 0 0

I am sharing the link to my website on all platforms but the photo I have chosen for my social sharing image does not appear when I post the link. I am using the Simple theme provided for free by Shopify and using the Online Store > Preferences menu to make the change. Any reason why I'm not seeing it. My website is qbartisan.com.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
764 56 180

Hey, @BWhitney!

Thanks for letting me know which theme you're using.

Some themes actually have a social sharing image setting within them, which can be found in Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings. If a theme offers this setting, then it will always override any social sharing image settings from Online store > Preferences. The Simple theme offers the ability to add a social sharing image in the theme settings, so you'll just need to add the image there instead. 

I hope this clears things up! Let me know how that goes.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi wildworks,

We are having this same issue for over a year. Our sites password is disabled and we still can't post the product image. What solution worked for you in the end ?

Thanks

Peter

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi support

We have the same issue regarding sharing shopify products to our Facebook group.

Our site password is disabled so Facebook can access information from our Shopify page.

But the same thing happens....our product image is not shared. The name of the product does appear but with an image of our shops logo.

I hope you can help !

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Julia,

I have the same issue but I can't share images to Facebook. My Shopify shop password is disabled so that's not the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter.

Rainbow Kids Boutique

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
764 56 180

Hey, @RainbowKidsB!

Which theme are you using? Shopify's free themes are designed to display the featured image for a page when you share that particular page link on social media; if you're posting a link to a product page, then the product image should appear as the featured image.

If you're using a third-party theme, then there's a good chance that it is also intended to display the featured image. However, knowing which theme you're using should help determine if this is the case! 

Regardless, it sounds like you may need to use the Facebook Sharing Debugger, which will allow Facebook to access your products' featured images. You can use the Facebook Sharing Debugger with any of your product links. Have you tried this yet? 

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hello, I have been having the same issue. I tried FB Debugger, and it updated the title and the description, but not the photo. Does the photo take longer to update? Or is there something going wrong here? Thanks for your help 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
764 56 180

Hi @21MillionCo!

Thanks for letting me know that you've already tried using the Facebook Sharing Debugger. When you use the Facebook Sharing Debugger, Facebook will typically update this information immediately. If this isn't happening, then there may be another issue at hand.

To clarify, are you referring to your store logo or a product image? Also, when you share a link, do you see an outdated image or no image at all? 

Generally speaking, the image that appears when you share a link depends on the link itself; if you're sharing a product link, then the image that appears will be your product's featured image. If you're sharing a link to your store's homepage, then the image that appears should be your store logo. If your logo isn't appearing, then this could be a theme-related issue. 

Some themes actually have a social sharing image setting within them, which can be found in Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme settings. Do you see this option there? If so, the image uploaded there will always override the social sharing image you may have added in Online store > Preferences. If your theme does not have this setting, then the image used will be the one you've added in Preferences.

However, if you aren't seeing any image at all when you sharing a link, then this may be because you are sharing that particular link for the first time. Facebook actually has a help doc on images in link shares that offers further information on why this may be the case. There, they state:

When content is shared for the first time, the Facebook crawler will scrape and cache the metadata from the URL shared. The crawler has to see an image at least once before it can be rendered. This means that the first person who shares a piece of content won't see a rendered image.

I hope this clears things up, but if you are still experiencing the same issue, please let me know which link you're trying to share, along with the name of the theme you're using. With a bit more information, I'd be happy to do some further digging!

Looking forward to your response. 

0 Likes