Sorting By Size In Stock

Excursionist
25 0 4

Hey guys, I am trying to find a way to sort by size where customers can only see things that are in stock for them. Power-Tools might work but I have two caveats.

1. I need multiple versions of a sorting menu. I mostly want this for our children's store, Cub Shrub,  and I need the menu to only offer the options based on the section. So when on the baby section I only want to see newborn-24 months and on the big kid section only see 2-6. Then on toys and books I want age appropriatness, like 12mo+....

2. I really just want this one option and would prefer it to just be in the place the current sort drop down menu is. I am trying to avoid a sidebar thing as I think it hurts the apperance overall. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 0 9

Hey, Josh! 

Alicia here, from the Shopify Guru team!

It looks like you're using some tagging options to display 'sort by' through your theme. I just wanted to provide some options available for the kind of set up you're looking for, that could be acheived through your collections and menu options as well! If you were to set up collections for each of the different size bases that you wanted to offer - using your example only wanting to see newborn-24 months in the baby section - you could create automated collections to filter out any products that are currently out of stock, as well as any other conditions applicable, of course. In that case, a condition that you would want to place on that collection would be 'product inventory is greater than 0' - this condition would then only show products that are in stock when your customers are viewing them online. You can apply this same condition to any automatic collection that you set up for any of your products - and then simply link that collection to your menu. 

Hoping this option helps! If you have any further questions at all, please don't hesitate to let me know!

All the best,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru

support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 4

Yeah I actually have no clue how that tagging sort thing happened. I am looking into that today but ideally that would be where one could use the drop down and select the size they were shopping for. So in this scenario that would work for a matrix? Like if I had several products with a nb,0-3,3-6,6-12,12-18,18-24, those products had a mix of in stock and out of stock for a certain size, lets say 3-6 and had a mix of in and out of stock for the other sizes those conditions would be able to let someone select 3-6 months and show only the matracies for which size 3-6 exists?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 0 9

Hey, Josh! 

Alicia from Shopify here again! 

In the scenario that you've mentioned, I have a couple thoughts on how you could successfully set this up - without needing an app. Since your theme already successfully uses tags you've added to your products in your Admin, you can use this to your advantage - and then make use of automatic collections to help filter the available product that you actually have in stock. Hypothetically, you could create, lets say, a parent collection called 'Baby Clothes'. In this collection you could add conditions that would automatically pull in all of your baby clothing items - all sizes and styles. You would also want to be sure to include the condition of product inventory being greater than 0, to ensure that it will only show in stock products. This collection will then house all of your baby clothing products. You can then utilize your theme's filtering ability to include tags on your individual products in your Shopify Admin, so that customers could still filter your different sizes, all the while only being able to see the available stock. 

If you'd rather not house all of your baby clothing items in the same collection, you can absolutely break that down into smaller collections as well, also applying the same methods with collection conditions. In both of these scenarios, you'd just want to make sure that the menu link for your collections is the correct one, rather than leading to 'all products', so that you eliminate any chance that a customer might land on a product that isn't in stock. 

I hope this explanation makes sense! If not, just let me know! I'd be happy to help further in any way that I can!

Warmest regards,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru 

support@shopify.com

1 Like
6 0 0

Hi Alicia- I am looking for assistance with this as well.  As a clothing store, it is difficult to understand why shopify or themes advertising as clothing themes do not offer a size filter?  If I do the above steps:

1. create a tag for size small

2. create a collection for tag "small" and inventory stock >1

..I am still getting items pulled that are out of stock in size small because I have inventory in size M or Large.  It is pulling the total inventory, not the variant inventory of small. 

In efforts to create seamless buying for customers (especially on a mobile device), they want to get right to their size and not scroll through 200+ products to see what's available.  It seems counterproductive to everything shopify is trying to create with fast easy, shopping and check-out.  I have seen questions of people requesting this as far back as 2013 so wondering why it has not been prioritized for the "clothing and fashion" promoted themes that sell product by size.  

I believe this is greatly hurting my sales, as shopify shows me top search features and I can see people are trying to search by size on my website, but they are basically getting a return of every item in stock, not availability.  Then the customer is gone when they have to start searching through every product.... 

Any assistance would be appreciated in getting this function up and running or a good, working work-around.  The above is not working for me.  

Best Regards,

Angi

0 Likes
2 0 1

Adding in my support that it is absurd this feature doesn't exist. This is absolute BASE LEVEL functionality for any online store to be able to filter products in relationship to stock. 

If I had realized Shopify didn't have this ability, I would have never built on this platform. It's the entirety of why I am delaying launching my store, because I'm trying to solve this bad customer experience. If I can't solve it easily (and without spending a single dime of extra money on more apps, etc.) I will completely jump ship. I refuse to give my money to a company trying to scam me to buy apps. 

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 0

Hey Kelly were you able to figure our a solution for this **bleep** situation ? It's pretty ridiculous that shopify doesn't offer this basic option for clothing store. 

Im considering canceling their services .

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi All,

This is definitely something that should be base level for Shopify. I have been attempting to figure out a solution for weeks now. It should be simple: customer inputs a desired size (i.e. nike size 8.5) and the search query should pull all Nike's in size 8.5. I don't understand why this is such a headache :(

0 Likes