Speed issues in new custom Shopify theme

6 0 0

We have recently had a new theme developed and implemented on our store, which we’re largely happy with. However, when I recently ran a speed test on Google PageSpeed Insights and it gave us a mobile score of just 6 on Mobile (it’s 47 on Desktop).

We have deleted as many Apps as possible and use an App called SEO Images All-In-One to compress the image size across the site.

When I asked our developer about this, he said that it was because of the number of Apps we have. We do have 28 apps, but most of them are fairly standard and we have culled as many as possible. Can anyone provide any insight into whether this is normal, and if not – what we can do outside of deleting more apps? I have passed the report on to our developer but they feel that there’s nothing more we can do, which seems odd to me...

The site is https://kentauraustralia.com/

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2656 61 651

Katelyn, 

I had a look at your front-page and ran it through the Google Pagespeed. There are a couple of things which are not done in your theme, but actually a must if you want to get a reasonable PageSpeed.

1. The theme includes lazysizes library, and it's used in some parts of the theme. The library allows to delay loading of images which are not yet in view and then, when they are in view (due to user scrolling, etc), show the image sized according to the display size. Say, show image which is 1920px wide on desktop, but only use image which is 350px wide on mobile.
    The problem is that lazysizes is not used on your Slider and Featured Collections section.
    Therefore, the main complaints from the PageSpeed at the momen are "Properly size images" and "Defer offscreen images"
  2.  Adding to this is the fact that you're using PNG images for your slideshow. For the same looking photos PNG will produce file which will be 5-10 times "heavier", which will definitely delay loading.
  3. For theme areas which do use lazysizes, it's necessary to do some fine-tuning to make it lazy enough to satisfy PageSpeed requirements

These things will give you noticeable improvement (say, to about 30-40 mobile score [very rough estimate]) and relatively straight-forward to implement.

The next step is to look at your stylesheets and combine / lazy load some of them, but this would be a more complex task.

And finally, have a second look at your Apps.

Plus ensure that there are no left-overs from the Apps you've already removed.

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
1 Like

Hi @KatelynPendivil,

There definitely are some tasks that you can implement to improve your website's speed.

The top 4 recommendations mentioned in the Google PageSpeed results are exactly what I would action - and those actions would improve the speed quite a bit.

Plus all those top 4 recommendations are easy to action on your website.

Happy to discuss it further if need be. My email is in my footer down below.

- B

Was my answer helpful? Be sure to give it a "Like" and mark it as the solution - this way others can find it easily.
- Need help with a Shopify build or custom solution? Feel free to get in touch via hello@stonedigital.com.au !
- Did my reply help solve your problem? The above email is my Paypal too ʘ‿ʘ
0 Likes
6 0 0

Thanks all for the suggestions! We have sent them on to our developer, who says they have been implemented, and our desktop speed score has improved. Our mobile speed is still very slow though?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2656 61 651

Uhm, if Google complains about it, it means that either it's not implemented, or implementation is wrong/not good enough :)

It still loads 700KB of PNG slideshow images immediately, and these images are desktop-wide for the phone; still loads these mega-menu images on the phone (where they are not used!), "featured collections" is not lazy-loading  and so on...

Want to hire me to tweak a theme? Mail me at tairli@yahoo.com!
My post solved your problem? Like it!
0 Likes