Speed score very slow

Ellikumo
Excursionist
24 0 4

Can someone help me improve my speed score?

My website www.ellikumo.com.au isn't that content heavy really and it suddenly went from a speed score of 70 ish to a speed score of 7!

It seems fairly responsive when I log in from elsewhere, I'm wondering what the cause might be??

0 Likes
Hyde
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
727 73 130

Hi @Ellikumo,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!

You can see your store speed by going to Online Store > Themes. Alongside the store speed, you can click "view report" to get a better understanding of what's going on.

In the report, there's an option to see a breakdown of how your store speed has been calculated. I'd recommend checking that out because it will give you the clearest picture of what is affecting the page speed.

If you're using a free Shopify theme you will want to make sure that any content you have on that site is optimized. The sizes, formats, and so on are outlined here. If you're using a third-party theme you will need to consult that theme's documentation or speak to the developers.

Also, consider whether or not you've added a third-party app recently that may be affecting the code on the page(s) that the speed breakdown highlights as the main culprits.

I hope that helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1188 104 287

@Ellikumo I checked out that url and the page loaded fine for me so probably not a big issue, but here are some ideas to get things dialed in:

1) If you're referencing the Shopify speed score for your score, that's based largely on the 3rd party apps you use. So if you recently installed a new app it might be the reason the score went down (more info here: https://speedboostr.com/shopify-speed-tool). You can contact the app developer to see if they have any ideas on how to optimize better if possible. Sometimes it's not possible, apps use resources so take time to load, and some tools will score based on that.

2) You can use the free Shopify Analyzer app to find common optimization issues specific to Shopify stores. That's a tool my team (speedboostr.com, Shopify optimization focused developers) created for the community. There are recommendations + resources to guides linked from there, and the scoring is based on 1,000+ Shopify sites we've optimized.

3) If you're unable to identify the problem and would like some help, reach out to my team at speedboostr.com/contact. We always start with a free analysis, then can dive in deeper if necessary to address specific issues.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
0 Likes
Ellikumo
Excursionist
24 0 4

Great thanks for the responses!