Stop sending draft order emails

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 0
First post here! Really excited about learning more!
I would like to turn off the automatic emailing to customers when I create a draft order. I do not want an email to go out when I create a draft order. Any help would be so appreciated!
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 543

Hi,

I wasn't aware that customers get notified when you create a draft order. I just tried to confirm and there was no notification email sent. Customers do et notified when you send an invoice for that draft order or they do get notified when you mark the draft order as paid, or pay by CC and thus process the draft order in to a regular order.

Maybe I am just missing something obvious here and made a settings change long ago that I forgot about. Could you elaborate at what stage during draft order creation your customers get notified?

Many thanks and best wishes!

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
1 Like
Tourist
10 0 0
I wasn’t aware of draft emails either, until I was sending gifts during the holidays and using draft orders to create shipping labels. In settings under notifications there is a Draft Order Email. I would really love to turn this off, but can’t find where I’m the code I do that. I’m guessing it’s in the code.
Thank you!
Morgan
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 543

Strange. I do not have that email template at all.

Is it possible that you're using some apps?

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 0
Nope, I was wondering the same thing, so I texted a friend who has an Shopify store too (and she doesn’t use apps), and asked her if emails went out when she created a draft order. She said no. So I just asked her to make me a draft order with my name real fast, she did, and I got an email! Going to attach the screenshot...
She had never known those went out at all either. I’m also attaching a screenshot of what it says in settings.

I appreciate you looking into this, I’m wondering if it has something to do with the theme I’m using...just can’t figure it out!

Thanks again for you help!
Morgan
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 0
Ok, so I guess I cannot attach images from my phone, will try and send from my computer.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 543

Yes, I am curious too. For me it's simply curiosity and knowing that this feature is there while understanding why you are seeing it and being notified, while I cannot reproduce that notification.

So to be clear

1. From your Settings > Notifications > Customer Notifications you have an item with a link to "Draft Order Email"?
  2. When you create a draft order with a customer assigned to it and save that draft order (nothing else, not send invoice, not mark as paid etc), the customer gets notified?

I really doubt it's just a theme issue, but at this point I might as well ask which one you're using?

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 0
That’s exactly how you get to it. It sends when I save it I guess. The email says “
Complete yoir purchase
These items will be reserved for you until: Saturday, January 19 (and then a time) and then a button to complete your purchase just exactly like a cart recovery email.

It’s called the Draft Order Invoice, and this is exactly what it says as the description:
“Sent to the customer when a draft order invoice is created. You can edit this email invoice before you send it.”

I wish I could send you these screenshots, but I have Jumpstart theme, and I also have Supply (I’m trying to redo my shop, but that one isn’t active).

I am dumbfounded! I just can’t figure out what it’s for exactly either, because when I send an invoice, that’s when I want it to send, not when I’m making a draft.
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 0

@KarlOffenberger I am on my computer now, hopefully these photos will post.

0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 0

@KarlOffenberger here is one more photo, this is when I click to edit the email.

0 Likes