Store theme won’t let me customise

mmingxi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi guys. Every time I try to edit a store theme (the basic free Shopify ones), I will go through the process and save as I go but once I get to the end and try to publish the store it reverts back to a template, coffee shop store (not sure where it’s come from) and it doesn’t let me change it again (only the header and footer). I have never had this problem before and I’ve googled everywhere but can’t seem to find an answer.

Does anyone have any ideas? 😰

Replies 6 (6)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @mmingxi!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

To clarify, are your changes still being saved? If the changes are being saved, but aren't being published on your live site, then it sounds like you may be customizing the wrong theme.

This would be the case if the theme you're working on is found under Online store > Themes > Theme library. To customize your live theme, you'll just need to select the theme that's under the Current theme section, as shown right here: 

20-12-e7k8o-ll05x

If you're working on a theme that's not yet published, then it won't be visible to customers until you choose to publish it, which can be done by selecting Actions > Publish. We also have some help documentation on publishing themes that will walk you through the process.

If your changes aren't successfully saving, then this could instead be a browser issue. In this case, you'll need to ensure that you're using a supported browser; Google Chrome tends to work best with the Shopify theme editor. If you're already using Chrome, then I suggest clearing your cache and perhaps try again using a different browser or device. 

Let me know how that goes. If you're still experiencing the same issue, it would be helpful if you can share some information about the device and browser you're using so I can further troubleshoot. 

Looking forward to your response! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mmingxi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your reply!

I am definitely editing the current theme.

The theme saves perfectly fine but the actual issue is that once I publish it it deletes all of my customisations and changes the theme to the below:

D77BEE5D-3090-4FEC-AEC7-8590090358D4.png

All of the content in that theme is not mine, I have no idea where it has come from and it appears no matter what theme I use. It is not even theme that I chose. Also, after doing this it only lets me customise the header and footer but nothing else ☹️

I have tried deleting my cache and I have attempted to do it in incognito mode, regular google chrome, mobile app and internet explorer but it is still doing the same thing. (The above photo is on mobile as I am just quickly replying from mobile). I usually work on it from my HP Spectre laptop.

I look forward to your response! 🙂

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for following up. 

To confirm, are you customizing a theme that's already published, or are you customizing a theme from your Theme Library? If the theme is already published, then there shouldn't be any need to publish it again after you've made changes. Instead, you'll just need to simply save your changes and they will automatically publish. 

When you noticed that your customizations had been "deleted", did you get a chance to preview any of your other themes to see if the changes are reflected there? 

I've checked with our Themes team to see if there are any known issues like this, but we haven't received any similar reports. I'm thinking that issue may be within the workflow, especially since it seems to be occurring on multiple browsers and devices. To rule out any workflow issues, I recommend removing any themes you aren't using before making any further customizations.

Let me know how that goes!

mmingxi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your message.

My changes are being saved until I publish the theme, I am unable to customise any themes that have been published as it completely bars me from doing so.

I am definitely customising the correct theme and I am well aware of how to publish a theme, thank you.

Further, as I have already mentioned, I have attempted to clear caches, I have attempted to customise on Google Chrome (normal mode and incognito), Internet Explorer and the Shopify mobile app.

In my response on 12 December 2020, I mentioned all of this and also the devices that I use to customise my themes on. For your convenience, it is either my iPhone XS Max or my HP Spectre laptop - please note that I predominantly use my laptop.

Looking forward to your response.

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for confirming.

In this case, I'd like to have our Technical team investigate further. Before I can do so, I'll just need to authenticate your account, so I'll be sending an email to the email address associated with your Community Forums account. Please reply to my email at your earliest convenience; once received, I'll be sending this up to our Technical team right away. 

Speak with you soon!

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Another check to perform is see if the store has apps such as a backup app, or other service that interacts with themes that may be making changes thus overwriting your work.
This includes checking for private apps setup often created for development work.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org