Sub-collection in collection

1 0 0

Hello, 

I am trying to create a website where I can have a "Collection List" that says "women" and then once clicked, brings me to a page that has more sub-collections for different categories that I can click on to see the products. 

Please let me know if this is possible, and if not, can someone help me find a theme where this can be done? 

Thank you so very much!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
216 15 33

Hi, @Oosan!

This is Rae from Shopify. Thanks for posting this question, and welcome to the Community. 

Which theme are you currently using on your site? Is it a theme made by a third party developer, or a theme made by Shopify

Depending on the theme you're using, one way to offer sub-collections is to follow the steps in this coding tutorial to add a collection subset to your site. This will create a custom page on your theme to showcase the smaller collections within your larger 'Women's' collection. 

However, please keep in mind that this is an advanced tutorial, so if you're not comfortable with coding, I recommend reaching out to Shopify Experts for more help with implementing this on your site. If you'd like to try this tutorial yourself though, I suggest duplicating your theme first, and adding this feature to this duplicated version, before editing your live theme. This way, you can ensure your live theme isn't impacted if you need to remove any of the coding and start again. To duplicate your theme, just follow these steps

There are also a few page builder apps in the Shopify App Store that may work to achieve similar results as the above coding. Shogun and GemPages are two page builder options that I recommend looking into. To find out more about using these apps to showcase the collections in the way you're hoping, I suggest speaking with the app developers directly. They will be able to let you know if this functionality is possible, and how to add it to your site through their apps. You can follow the steps outlined here to speak with the app developers further about this.  

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above information and I'll be glad to offer more assistance. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello ,

I am also just new to Shopify and looking for a similar solution. This is what i am going to do.

I will create my collections and sub-collections.(e.g. "woman" "woman-shoes" "woman-hats") I will use "Product type" to select products for these collections (woman-shoes, woman-hats). If a collection does not have products (woman), but only sub-collections, i will set "product type" "is equal to" "no products".

For all products, i will set "product type" to the required collection (woman-shoes, woman-hats).

Then in online store = navigation i will create in the "main menu" or "side bar"  the menu items collections with below the sub-collections and sub-sub-collections. (woman as top menu and woman-shoes, woman-hats as sub menu)

Next step will be to create a page (page-woman) for the collections (woman), that has only sub-collections. I will use the standard page template. I will add pictures of the sub-categories (woman-shoes, woman-hats) and will then hyperlink these pictures to the sub-categories (https://xxxxx.myshopify.com/collections/woman-shoes and https://xxxxx.myshopify.com/collections/woman-hats).

Back to my navigation, and edit the category "woman" and link it to the correct page (https://xxxxx.myshopify.com/pages/page-woman) with the pictures of the sub-categories.

in the shop, if you would click on the category "woman" you would get the page with the pictures of the shoes and hats and if you click on them, you would be re-directed to the sub-categories.

Hope my idea is helpful.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
18 2 11

HI @Oosan and @henny!

Karl from Shogun Page Builder here - I just wanted to follow up on the comment that mentioned that it may be possible to do this with our app! 

The easiest method of doing this with Shogun Page Builder would be to create your collection as normal, for example, "women", and have a separate page that users can choose the collection from. Shogun offers the ability to add images, columns and other elements to create beautiful grids and designs that would suit your needs. You can simply link your collection to a section and then your users will be able to hop straight into your collection. I've included an example of this below, to be tailored to your own site. 

Image 2019-12-05 at 1.58.35 pm.pngShogun example for collectionsShogun also lets you customise the collection pages themselves! You can add content above and below the main template that is provided by your theme, which is super handy if you want to add any other content. More information on our Help Center article: click here.

If this sounds good, feel free to install, we offer a 10 day free trial, and you keep all of your pages, even if you decide not to continue your subscription! You can download Shogun Page Builder from the Shopify App Store. You can also find out more information about us on getshogun.com.

Please feel free to reach out to our amazing support team if you have any other questions by clicking here.

Have a great day!

0 Likes