Text editor is buggy

Highlighted
1 0 0

Every time I try to type in some content within my theme, in the middle of typing it will all of the sudden start from the beginning. Its the same thing when deleting large amounts of text by holding the backspace button and its very annoying. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there a fix?

For example:

ur day today?Hello fellow Shopify forum members, how is yo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
550 33 79

Hi, @Newcomer 

Elle here from Shopify!

I have not experienced this issue myself; however, I have some troubleshooting steps you can take to see if we can narrow down why it's occurring. 

- What browser are you using? We recommend Chrome. Here are all the browsers we support!

- If you're using Chrome already, please make sure it is fully updated. 

- If Chrome is fully updated please clear your cache.

- If this doesn't help try to replicate the issue with an Incognito browser.

If the issue does not persist in an Incognito browser, then it's likely a Chrome extension that's causing the issue. I recommend disabling them one at a time and testing the editor to see if you can find the culprit. 

If you're using our app on a mobile device or tablet, please let me know the exact device you're using and we can go through additional steps!

Keep me updated on your progress as if you exhaust all troubleshooting steps, I will reach out to you directly to help further!

Cheers,

Elle

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

It happens frequently to me after a certain set of keystrokes that I haven't been able to replicate, or perhaps when typing too quickly. Sometimes there's a popup informing of an error. I don't think it's browser related, but I've been using Firefox. Will will try Chrome, although I dislike that browser.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
550 33 79

Thanks for those details, @ztatic !

If you continue to have issues with the editor in Chrome, please let me know so I can loop in our developers. 

Our support is available 24/7 if you run into any other issues. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I switched over to Chrome, and still have that problem. Definitely not browser-specific.

Could be a typing issue -- I am Typo King after all -- but if so, I suspect that there's a way to make the editor immune to it.

I think the editor may be misinterpreting certain keystroke combinations as code or shortcuts. I have a new keyboard that has the Alt keys situated too close to the space bar, and that could be the source of the false commands. On the other hand, I can't find any documentation of Alt-key combinations, and I'm loathe to experiment, considering I could possibly blow my site up in the process, which I wouldn't want to spend time fixing.

Admin: Can you forward this one to the development team for comment?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
550 33 79

Hi, @ztatic 

Thanks for the update! Since we have no open issues with our text editor, our technical team will need to be able to replicate the issue in order to investigate further. It would be really helpful if we could have a screen recording of the issue, or even just specific steps to take in order to replicate the issue. 

Would you be able to create a new page in your admin under Online store > Pages > Add Page and screen record yourself typing until you notice the issue? A helpful tool for screen recording is called Monosnap.

You can set the new page as unpublished so it will have absolutely no impact on your store. The page can also be deleted once you are done with your test. 

Also, if you can explain further what essentially happens to the editor when you are typing that would be great! (ie. Cursor moves 3 lines down, editor becomes unresponsive, etc.)

Thanks so much and looking forward to hearing from you so we can work together to resolve this issue! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

As I mentioned, I'm unable to make the editor glitch intentionally. It seems to happen at random. I have no way of knowing whether I'm hitting a meaningful  keystroke sequence inadvertently, or this is something intermittent, but it seems to me unlikely to be intermittent. Here's an annotated  screen cap of the latest incident. Running in Chrome on a Win 10 desktop. shopify editor glitch.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

I'm willing to run a keylogger while editing to capture the sequence. Please recommend an app if interested.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
550 33 79

Thanks so much for those details, @ztatic 

Do you find this occurs every time you are using the text editor?

Would you be able to use Monosnap to get a screen recording of the issue instead of a keylogger? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 1

As I said, it seems to happen at random. The more I use the editor, the more it happens.

I suppose I could capture the appearance of a screw up, as you suggest, but then you'd only have a record of the appearance without any data about the conditions that led to it. How would that be any more helpful than at static shot of the aftermath? Are your developers not interested in data about how this happens? Do they just want to see it happening? Makes no sense. Having a screen cap of the aftermath along with a contemporaneous log of the keystrokes is all I can think of that I could contribute that would be of any help.

0 Likes