Theme Duplication

astats87
1 0 0

Hi,

New to the community but a Shopify user for about 3 years now.  ln short, how can I duplicate or copy another sites theme that I do not own? Or in other words, I like someone else's website and would like to use their website as the bases of mine and build off of that.  Is there a way this can be accomplished?

Respectfully,

-A

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
927 87 129

Hi, @astats87.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

While you can duplicate, download, and import themes to your store on Shopify, themes from other platforms isn't compatible with our platform. Compatible themes from another Shopify store can be imported to your store. However, the rights to the theme would be owned by their store.

To avoid infringing on another store's intellectual property, you could ask them directly to see if they're willing to consent you to use their theme as a template for your own store. If they agree to let you use their theme, they can download a copy and send it to you. That said, if you're unable to get a copy of their theme, you can also try asking for the name of their theme or where to get it from. This way, you can still get the theme and you can use it as a base to build your store. 

I'd be happy to help explore some themes as well, can you share an example site with a theme you're trying to get? 

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes