Theme Suggestion

dwf
2 0 0

Hi, I'm sure this is the most asked newbie question on here...

What theme is best for a... Vinyl Record Store? We have 1 brick and mortar store that sells mostly Vinyl records, some audio equipment. We're looking to move most of our New Vinyl Records online and spend most of our time on that. op Free suggestions are better unless there's a paid one that's really a standout.

Also, as far as Collections go, with something like this would you recommend Manual or Automated? We'll have categories like Blues, Jazz, Rock, etc. with hundreds of titles in each one with varying degrees of available quantities.

And we'd REALLY like to push PRE-ORDERS for New Release Albums coming soon.

Please and Thank You.

0 Likes
Lana
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
134 17 10

Hello @dwf!

This is Lana from Shopify.

That is a really great question! Really it is possible to modify all of the themes available in our Shopify Theme Store to have it suit any kind of business. You can change many aspects such as color scheme and fonts using a simple set of sliders found in the Theme settings, and for more intricate details and customisation you can look into things like third party apps from our Shopify App Store, or even get help from a Shopify Expert with the ability to custom code a feature.
It is also important to note that if you choose one of our Free Shopify Supported themes, we will be able to help you out with customisation or even bugs/issues you find on the theme, whereas if you choose one of the paid themes, you would need to contact the developer of the theme for support. To learn more about theme customisation and the options that you have, please take a look at this help doc here.

Free suggestions are better unless there's a paid one that's really a standout.

I understand that you would prefer a free theme, so you can take a look at the ones that I linked above. One paid theme that I found does look like it could be very easily adapted to a vinyl/music oriented store, - and that is the Label theme. According to the reviews, the developers are very helpful if you need support and even if you don't end up deciding to purchase this theme, it can be good to just get some inspiration! 

Regarding your question about the collections, that really comes down to personal preference, so I will just briefly describe the difference between automatic and manual collections here:

• Automatic collections are where you can set conditions based on the collection and what you want to add to it as soon as a product is created. For example, you could have an automatic collection with the condition Product tag is equal to Jazz:

13-34-69384-47326

• Manual collections are ones that you will need to go back to yourself every time you add a new product and 'manually' place it there. It can be helpful if you're very specific about what products need to go together but you find that the conditions that you can set with automatic collections don't fit that so well.

Here you should note that once you create a collection, you cannot go back and change its type, so if you have a manual collection but you would prefer it to be automatic, you would need to recreate it like that. You can learn more about this in our help doc on Collections which also includes a helpful video that shows how to create them!

And we'd REALLY like to push PRE-ORDERS for New Release Albums coming soon.

In terms of a pre-orders feature, while it is not something that comes with the native features of Shopify, we do have some app recommendations for this that you can look into: 

I can see how for a music store this feature would be quite important, so I also wanted to share our Shopify Blog article on How to Use Pre-Orders. It includes the apps that I mentioned above, as well as pre-order methods and strategies for successful campaigns!

Let me know if you have any questions here at all, and I will be happy to help.

Thanks. -Lana

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

dwf
2 0 0

Wow - Thank you so much for your response Lana. I'm in the midst of a trial with Squarespace as well and you are making a strong case for going with Shopify.

I'll look at your suggestions and go from there. I need to show an example very soon, so in terms of work flow, do you suggest picking a theme first or is it more important to work out the navigation first? And as far as that goes, would you suggest creating all the products first-listing the hundreds of album titles, and THEN creating the categories and collections and drop down menus(Shop now>Genre>Jazz>Blues, etc.) or creating the navigation and then populating it with products?

I've narrowed down the Free themes to Venture - which was used for this site www.rockmerch.com, Supply which built www.plaidroomrecords.com and www.getondown.com, and we really like the simplicity of this one built by shopify but we don't know the theme: https://www.theingroove.com/. Any suggestions to nudge us closer to a theme would be helpful. Simplicity and ease of use/understanding workflow is probably more important than anything for someone thats never done this before.

Thank You!

0 Likes
Lana
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
134 17 10

To be honest in terms of working on navigation and the structure, I would recommend you first choose a theme, and then go from there! That is because once you have a theme, all the work that you do on navigation will make more sense as you will be able to see what it looks like and make changes/alterations based on that. You will find that this work is done outside of the theme itself,  in Online store > Navigation - this is where you can create your Main menu, footer menu, and really any other menus that you may need. You can learn more about navigation and the creation of menus in our guide here

As for creating products or collections, what you could do is create some automatic collections first following the guide from my last reply, and then as you're adding products, you could make sure they fall under the conditions that you have set within your collections, such as Jazz albums being created with the 'jazz' tag so that they are immediately populated in their respective collections! The tags are just a suggestion, you can also categorise items in collections based on stock, name or even price. However, if you did choose to go with the tags option, here is a guide on how to create product tags. 

Regarding the Venture theme, I think that is a fantastic choice! You will find that the customisation is quite versatile, and even in its description it is designed for 'high volume' stores, which sounds like it would suit you as you have a lot of inventory:

would you suggest creating all the products first-listing the hundreds of album titles,

I even have a link from our Shopify Help Centre to our Venture theme guide which goes through settings, sections and even gives you some general tips for the theme. Also as I mentioned before, this is a Shopify supported theme so we will be able to help you out with any bugs, or even some changes that may require code changes!

I understand that it can be a bit overwhelming to start as there is a lot to take in, but for some structure you can also take a look at our Shopify Blog article on The Shopify Store Launch Checklist which goes through all the things you need to do before launch.
You can let me know if you have any additional thoughts or queries here!

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes