Theme and URL

Solved
Tourist
7 0 0

Hello Folks...!!!

We are about to launch our online store, tentatively by the first week of January 2020. In regards to that, we have purchased a theme and currently working on it. However, before we launch the site, we want to create a landing page.

So can I create a landing page using a free theme and then switch to the real site once it's ready to go live??

I have already linked one URL to my Shopify account, and so can I use the same URL when I switch the theme?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2514 423 533

Hi @subhasish 

Yes, you can create development theme of your live site and then you can develop on development theme that theme cant see by user.

Both are bind with you live url so you just need to publish it when you go to live.

If you want to work on your live site then you can work by enable password page so user can see your store.

Let me know if you need help 

Want to modify or custom changes on store hire me.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Email: jasoliyabrijesh123@gmail.com
Want to get Free review and advice for sale on store ?? just text me here
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0

Hey @Jasoliya 

Thank you so much for your prompt response.

So it means, I can use a free theme to create a landing page, while I can work simultaneously on my actual theme/site.

Once I'm done, I can delete the landing page and the same URL will be linked to my new site when I hit publish. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
2514 423 533

You can not transfer any page to other theme, here you want to create landing page(home page) and want to transfer to other theme that's not make sense. so you can keep copy of same theme and test your think on one copy(development theme) and when you done your testing you can implement on live theme.

Or if you done your landing page on developed theme and want to make it live then you can just publish it. 

Want to modify or custom changes on store hire me.
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Email: jasoliyabrijesh123@gmail.com
Want to get Free review and advice for sale on store ?? just text me here
0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 0

Yeah, I don't want to transfer the page to any other theme.

I mean to say,

While working on my development theme, can I publish a copy of the same theme with only the landing page? And once I'm done I will publish the finished site.

Thanks

0 Likes
Astronaut
1091 150 274

Hi subhashish. So you just want to have a placeholder page for your homepage that doesnt link anywhere within the site? Basically like a coming soon type of deal. What you could do is install whatever free theme you want and publish it, and then you'd just have to make some modifications to theme.liquid and index.liquid. So theme.liquid probably has a header and footer section which you will want to omit so you can comment them out, but you'll want to keep the {{ content_for_layout }} object in theme.liquid. Then you can go into index.liquid and you will see {{ content_for_index }}, you can comment that out and just build your html in index.liquid to create a landing page. Then you can add another theme to your store and work on that one, since it's not published your changes will not effect your live site and you can preview them from the code editor in the top right "preview" or you can do it from Online Store > Actions > Preview

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

@Ninthony 

Hey...

Yeah, you got me right. Just that I was trying to do the same as you've suggested without intervening the codes.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

Success.

Astronaut
1091 150 274

Yeah so what you can do is before you make changed to make your theme "only a landing page" is duplicate it. So you'll have a copy with your themes, then your published site which you can make the landing page site. Then you can work on your duplicate, and when it's ready just publish that one. This would swap out your landing page only theme with the one you'd have worked on.

If you'd like to make any edits to your store, please send me a personal message and we can discuss what you'd like to accomplish :D
1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

Great.

Thanks a ton... (Y) 

0 Likes