Theme customization best practices?

Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 5

Hello all,

I'm coming to Shopify from WordPress, and I'm modifying a theme I purchased. I'd like to know best practices for doing so. For example, in WordPress, it's best to create a seperate/child theme from the theme you purchased and work from that, so when the theme releases an update your work does not get overridden. Is that a concern for Shopify?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
21 0 1

Hi Amanda!

Jeremy here from Shopify!

If you're looking to make changes to your theme in Shopify, you can do so if you go to Online Store>Themes. Once there, click on the "..." and click "Edit HTML/CSS". This will open up the files for the theme that you can edit. 

We don't update our themes like Wordpress. If there is a new version that needs to be released for a specific theme them we would just update it on the theme store, however both versions would still work and be supported. 

Also, if you're editing the HTML/CSS in the theme, you can always roll back to a previous version in case something goes wrong: https://docs.shopify.com/manual/using-themes/troubleshooting/roll-back-to-older-version-of-theme

Hope that helps! :)

Jeremy D, Shopify Support

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
27 0 5

That is really cool. Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
400 0 72

Hi Amanda,

Britton here with the Shopify support team.

Shopify will only push out theme updates to your theme if it has not had any code custimization done. This is so you will not lose any customizations from overwriting. If you ever want a new version of your theme you would need to grab it from the theme store again.

The only themes that get automatically updated if there are no code changes are the Shopify designed themes. Paid themes need to be manually redownloaded for free in the theme store.

I hope that clears up your best practices questions!

-Britton

Britton Shopify Guru
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2397 121 378

Amanda, this also means there is no concept of child themes, (sometimes ambigously aka sub-themes). Shopify refers to copies as duplicates, and a theme is either published or unpublished.

Before editing a themes structure make a duplicate and this is generally what should be worked on instead of the published(live) until all changes are done and the theme previews look ready.

If used to version control software(git) there are tools to automate the upload/download so you can work with your prefered editor locally.

A convention I use is to rename the duplicate being edited to have [DEV] in the title to avoid confusion if you publish it and find an error later. But this may not apply to small edits.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
2 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

ok goldmarjewelers.com devel here. ok sorry to reply so late, but we come from wordpress and use child themes which keeps our code. is there a way to say a hook into the header to add my script, so its always there upon any updates to core or parent theme. 

*becasue i have to add a meta tag for merchant verification AGAIN, somehow \o/ its no longer in the header. thinking update wiped it...

https://merchants.google.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
14 0 2

I'm also interested of finding out how to deal with updates if you need to have our own code in the header (or anywhere else). 

Must we always be updating the new theme version manually with the code we need to add?

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

How do you tell if there is a new version available?
Where is the change log for free things like MInimal theme, for example? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2397 121 378

Christopher Goldmar  & RQ! Web Design and Integration Collaborator 

is there a way to say a hook into the header to add my script, so its always there upon any updates to core or parent theme. 

See the ScriptTag api (note not the liquid script_tag, the api) this lets you have javascript to the header

There's also the theme api so you can put for example a custom snippet include in your header {% include 'customsnippet' %} then use the api to PUT update using the Theme and Assets api

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2397 121 378

How do you tell if there is a new version available?
Where is the change log for free things like MInimal theme, for example? 

AFAIK there is no public changelog for themes,

also this is speculative gossip i've never tested: if you've made no customizations to your theme it should update as they make fixs or changes <-

Basically as part of maintenence cycle redownload the theme from the theme store as that will always be the latest version. Then run a diff on the fresh theme and the development theme, there's not currently an elegant workflow for this /shrug but if you used a VCS like git and commited the raw theme before customizations that can really help show changes.

0 Likes