Theme from zero

Globetrotter
541 44 111

Thanks @neckerson, just connected my developer store with Theme Kit and it wasn't half as daunting as I thought. Now I can work in Atom :D

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 2 4

Awesome! @Ninthony, it's a great tool for speeding up the development process. Also, I enjoyed looking at that map graphic you shared - there are many directions you can go in your future as a developer, and I would say it's a matter of what kind of work interests you the most. Focus on the frontend if you like design and visual results, focus on the backend if you like organization and problem-solving (generalizing, but you get the idea).

So far I haven't had the luxury of specializing in either, so I'm on a quest to become the best 'full-stack engineer' I can be. It's not a bad goal to understand both halves of the equation!

0 Likes
Globetrotter
541 44 111

@neckerson how do you handle updates made by another devloper? For me as someone who is working with another person, he's constantly making changes and so am I. So though I can work locally now, if he ever makes an edit to any of these files I'm guessing I'll have to redownload them? This kind of seems like a pain, dont know if there's a way around it though. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 2 4

@Ninthony

0 Likes
Globetrotter
541 44 111

Oo, now I get to work with gitHub instead of just downloading something from it. Cool, thank you for your help @neckerson, I appreciate it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
8 0 0

Thank you for all responses, I've read Slate's git, but I've seen now is in low maintenance....

So the best choice seem to be Theme Kit...

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 2 4

@CarloBernava I wouldn't let the 'maintenance mode' scare you away if you're interested in this project. So far I haven't felt the pinch of Slate's beta-mode too badly. The jankiest aspect of the setup seems to be SSL permissions when you're previewing the site in your browser - some Shopify plugins (i.e. Product Reviews) won't load unless you log into your Shopify store and preview the theme via the online interface there -- it's not a true local development environment yet.

Otherwise, you'll probably be happy with Theme Kit -- it's a straightforward way to speed up your theme workflow and preview your changes faster!

0 Likes

Woah! Thank you so much for your feedback and def missed that on my resume :) I will fix it right away. 

Want to customize or make changes to a theme? Hire me.
If my answer was helpful please Like and Accept Solution.
Email: oscardiazserrat@gmail.com
Behance: behance.net/starseedscreative
0 Likes