Themes Updates

Tourist
17 0 1

I'm using Debut theme. When developers make Debut theme updates then will it automatically update my theme code? Or I have to do it manually?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
264 21 43

Hey there! 

When theme developers update their themes, they won't automatically update your code. You can simply go back to the theme in the theme store and re-download a fresh version! 

Hope that helps - any further questions just let me know! - JP

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 1

But... I have some custom codes / Shopify Themes Support team editing :) It will be veeery hard to find those changes in order to copy&paste them. Soo is there any other way to update Themes?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
29 0 3

Whoever modified your theme code technially became your point of support, as it is kinda their theme then. Some theme developers will try and help, but they are not obliged as it is not their code to support at the point of modification ... that is why there are theme settings, so that theme code doesn't need to be changed and you can enjoy theme updates.

As JP mentioned, you can access the updated theme as a new theme, but yes you'd need to always make your changes again to each new theme (whether it is a different theme or a new version of the same theme).

Best of luck. And do not forgot this very important point of themes and support.

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 1

Ouch... Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

0 Likes
Excursionist
26 0 6

I'm a long-time web designer, mostly with WordPress where we create 'child themes' that have custom code that is update-safe.

I read that the settings I make in "Customize Theme" will carry over to the new update of Debut theme. Is that correct? I hope so.

But I like to add CSS to the theme.scss.liquid file and that will get overwritten (or ommitted) by an update.

That's a deal-breaker for us. We'll be looking at Square and WIX in our quest to leave the WP platform.

I've been programming since 1975 (stared with Ross Perot's EDS) and I have never seen a development system that didn't have some kind of "update-safe" method of adding custom code.

I really thought that the Shopify software architects were better than they are. 

2 Likes
Tourist
9 0 5

It is unbelievable. I'm dumbfounded. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

is this still a problem? seriously? each update, i will need to go in and design the site again? OR is there were custom changes to the code, like swapping out the purse icon for an actual shopping cart icon?? simple stuff?

SEO Expert Custom Web Design Growth Marketing 775-870-0488
0 Likes
Excursionist
26 0 6

It is not really as bad as you think... because if you make any changes to any code the system flags it (look for the blue dot in the "edit code" area listing,) and your theme WILL NOT be updated. So, no, you won't be wiped out. But no, you will not get any updates either. 

I don't understand it either!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
7 0 0

Thank you Al, seems like someone would be working on a Shopify App, for that. :)

SEO Expert Custom Web Design Growth Marketing 775-870-0488
0 Likes