Understanding how to use Collection and Tags

Snail_D3
2 0 0

Hi,

Firstly I apologise if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find my answer.

I am in the midst of building a store to sell products through Facebook, Instagram and Online Store. I am not sure if I am organising my products in the best way to allow flexibility when I layout how to display and categorise them on the website. Or for how Facebook and Instagram work with products and collections. 

Basically, I am using many different group tags on all the products in different types of grouped categories. IE: category_games, colour_red, features_touch, finish_metal, other_family, age range_child, other_onsale and so on.  Some products will have multiple tags from the same group tag IE: category_games & category_toys and some collections will show products from different categories. IE: 'Collection red' would show all the red thing across all the different product types/categories. The visitor can then filter further using the sidebar group filters if they choose.

This is not tested as yet but I am assuming my visitors would like to be able to see only metal things, only red things, only things that you touch, only thing that twist, and so on. Therefore I created automatic collections for each tag I added. IE: Collection other_RED, Collection age range_Children etc. This allows nice grouped filtering options for visitors on collection pages and lots of flexibility with many collections I can link in menus, on page banners and on social media posts/ads. It also means that all I do now is add products when I choose, tag them with their applicable tags and they will automatically appear in the collections they are tagged to.

But this is also where I'm not sure if I am complicating it too much by adding collections for each tag? Do I really need to do that?  I am using the collection links in the menu to shop specific collections and also have collection images per collection. IE: 'Shop By Colour' menu has menu items for each coloured collection I have created and the same for others like 'Shop By Age Range', 'Shop By Features', 'Shop By Finish'.

I think I can do much the same by using 'all products' collection that I then filter to display but that didn't give me separate image for each 'collection' and I couldn't customise the onpage SEO (I'm learning SEO basics). I also assume using my many collection organisation I also get many collection pages I can tweak for SEO but I'm only a beginner with SEO. Also it looks like Facebook and Instagram take all collections by default meaning I will have heaps of very specific collections on Facebook. Does that matter or do I need to turn off the Facebook sales channel for unwanted collections or leave as is?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I have it setup or suggestion on how to do it better? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
suyash1
Shopify Partner
2855 306 471

@Snail_D3 - you are right, many tags can create unnecessary complications for users to filter products and owner developer to add products, hence only primary tags which are must as filters should be used.  Your menu and product filter should not be complicated or user will go away form website.

You are welcome to contact me, my email - suyash.patankar@gmail.com
Free Shopify solutions/tutorials on youtube
#1 page builder app on Shopify - for FREE! PageFly
0 Likes
Snail_D3
2 0 0

@suyash1 - Thanks for your feedback. I felt like I was making it complicated too but it is hard to know as a new user/developer/creator. The website is a bit clunky but it's getting there. As I add more products I can properly build the look, feel and purpose of the sections. IE: a colour section, Premium products section with link to their collections and properly target products/product groups.

Quite ironically though, shortly after this post I got my first sale directed from a Facebook ad. I guess I will see how it goes for a while and tweak as required. I'll see what is being utilised by visitors and remove things that aren't being used.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
suyash1
Shopify Partner
2855 306 471
yes, you can focus on fb/insta ads and sales, understand what people like
and remove non important content, that will make your website much better.
You are welcome to contact me, my email - suyash.patankar@gmail.com
Free Shopify solutions/tutorials on youtube
#1 page builder app on Shopify - for FREE! PageFly
0 Likes