Solved

I need an update on the Venture theme for new features.

Sinister_Kings
Explorer
54 0 10

Hi guys, 

I Started using Venture theme approx 4 years ago and it seems that there has been some updates to the theme over the years which has added extra features.

How do i update my current Venture theme so i can take advantage of the extra added features?

I've read up about it but not a lot made sense.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (2)

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Sinister_Kings

Ren here from the Shopify support team, thanks for the great question!

Updating your current theme should be pretty straight forward. What you'll want to do is head over to the Shopify Theme Store, find the Venture theme and simply download it again. This will automatically download the most recent version and save it as a new theme in your Online Store settings. Before you do so though, be sure to rename your original theme so you can easily differentiate. To do this, just click on Actions > Rename on the theme in question. 

Once you have your new copy of Venture, it will be like starting with a blank slate so you'll want to work on this in the background as an unpublished theme until you have all of your layouts and app integrations properly set up. Once that's done you can go ahead and Publish the new/updated version of Venture and you're good to go! 

Hope that helps, let me know if I can clarify any of that for you. What are some of the features you're looking forward to utilizing from the updated Venture theme? 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Happy to help @Sinister_Kings

That's a great question, at this time I don't believe we have any sort of sign up to get notified. I think that would be a really good idea though so I am going to submit this as feedback to the appropriate teams and maybe down the line it can be a reality! 

For now, I recommend checking in with our support team every now and then as we can cross reference theme versions for you and let you know whether an upgrade is due or not. 

View solution in original post

Replies 20 (20)

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @Sinister_Kings

Ren here from the Shopify support team, thanks for the great question!

Updating your current theme should be pretty straight forward. What you'll want to do is head over to the Shopify Theme Store, find the Venture theme and simply download it again. This will automatically download the most recent version and save it as a new theme in your Online Store settings. Before you do so though, be sure to rename your original theme so you can easily differentiate. To do this, just click on Actions > Rename on the theme in question. 

Once you have your new copy of Venture, it will be like starting with a blank slate so you'll want to work on this in the background as an unpublished theme until you have all of your layouts and app integrations properly set up. Once that's done you can go ahead and Publish the new/updated version of Venture and you're good to go! 

Hope that helps, let me know if I can clarify any of that for you. What are some of the features you're looking forward to utilizing from the updated Venture theme? 

Sinister_Kings
Explorer
54 0 10

Thanks heaps @Ren !

One more question, is there anyway to know or be informed that the Theme has been updated in the future so we can update it?

Thanks again.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Happy to help @Sinister_Kings

That's a great question, at this time I don't believe we have any sort of sign up to get notified. I think that would be a really good idea though so I am going to submit this as feedback to the appropriate teams and maybe down the line it can be a reality! 

For now, I recommend checking in with our support team every now and then as we can cross reference theme versions for you and let you know whether an upgrade is due or not. 

Sinister_Kings
Explorer
54 0 10

Thanks @Ren 

Really appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

You bet! Always happy to help. 

Did you have a chance to download the new version of Venture? How are you liking it? Anything you need a hand navigating? 

Sinister_Kings
Explorer
54 0 10

Hi @Ren 

Yeah, i dloaded it a few days ago, its great, its got a lot of functions that i was trying to implement using code already built in.

Thanks

Guzla
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there - we are running on a 2.5 years old version of Venture - and love it.

What are the specific improvements that you like?

Cheers in anticipation

Chris

Sinister_Kings
Explorer
54 0 10

hi @Guzla

2 features that stand out are the dynamic Buy Now buttons on the product pages and also the You May Also Like feature at the bottom of the page.

Guzla
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks - I appreciate you taking the time out to reply. 🙂

KELLY_AKER
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello , 

I read your post about updating a theme and I am bit still confused. I have currently an older Modular version which I have customized. I also have the new updated version of Modular- which like you said is like a blank slate but with alot of new features. Is there anyway of transferring over my customizations to the updated them? Or am I expected to rebuild the entire site again? 

Thank you for your help!

Kelly 

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hello @KELLY_AKER 

Thanks for reaching out for clarification. You do have that right though! It's a matter of rebuilding from scratch as there is no way to transfer over the code from the older version. I would suggest working on it in the background until you're ready to publish. 

Are there any specific changes you need to make that you're not sure of? You also have the option of hiring a Shopify Expert to transfer all of the data over for you - check out our Expert Marketplace here. You can post a job and receive proposals from various experts. Let me know what you think. 

studiomatrix
7 0 0

Hi Ren, 

Thank you for your clear answer. I have the same with my 'pipeline' theme. I would like to know (before I start adapting the updated pipeline theme) if I publish it, I need to pay once again the price of that theme? (aprox. 320USD)?

studiomatrix
7 0 0

Or is the update of the pipeline theme that I bought free?

zim
Tourist
3 0 10

Im trying to update my theme too (Debut Theme) - In the old version its not playing videos assigned as a product image.

But the whole process feels time consuming. In order to update the theme, my whole page has to be basically re-created. Is there no other option to upgrade a theme without re-doing everything?

tingprint
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi. Thanks for the explanation  - that was helpful. 

I've planed also to update my theme ("Debut" in my case) to get new features.

The question is - does the theme update and all the content moving of the content to the updated theme, affect the historical result of SEO for my page? 

Thanks in advance!

mezai
Visitor
1 0 1

why would we have to redo the whole setup instead of just overwriting the original theme?

does that every time there is an update, we have to go in and rebuild our sites? that doesn't make sense.

PeaceGeneralco
Visitor
1 0 0

I totally agree!  There should be update without having to rebuild.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hello and thanks for the great feedback.

As far as theme updates go, it's to ensure there are no bugs/providing fixes for bugs and that you receive the latest updates/features on your new theme. With new features, you'll be given the opportunity to create or add new content. 

When you update a theme, many of the customizations you've made should carry over. However, there may be new content or updates to the settings that don't carry over. This can be due to the name of settings being changed or new settings added within the code. 

We always advise that you check the updated theme before publishing live to make sure your customizations have carried over as expected and so any necessary changes can be made prior to publishing live.

Let me know if I can assist with anything further. 

JulieanneMariee
Visitor
1 0 0

Is it possible to have a collection inside a collection in the updated theme?

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @JulieanneMariee

Thanks for the post! I just want to make sure I understand your question. When you say, "collection inside a collection", it sounds like you could be referring to nested navigation or a subset of collections on a page, like this example given here.

Nested navigation is the ability to create drop-down menus which means you could list collections and then link related or sub-collections in the drop-down menu. 

Whereas featuring a subset means creating a custom page that displays a subset of related collections: 

Ren_0-1668491299615.jpeg

This can be achieved if using a Shopify Supported theme by editing your theme code as described here.

I'm happy to dive a little deeper into this with you if you need a hand. Be sure to let me know which theme/version you're using and the specific customization you're hoping to accomplish. If you can screenshot an example, that would be super helpful! 

Also, sometimes choosing the right theme can be a little daunting so if you happen to be at that stage, or wanting to switch things up, here is a great tutorial to help narrow the options down