Used Buy Button on Landing Page but not ideal for tracking and automation

Tourist
3 0 1

I created this landing page, https://tadazi.com/pages/free-sample and used the Buy Button to pull in a product with $0 price. 

It seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm realizing it's not ideal. I would prefer it to use the same cart as the site for

1. user experience
2. Tracking (facebook pixel isn't including cart/checkout activity from this Cart, Initiate Checkout, Billing Step, etc) and Abandon Cart Audiences doesn't include from visitors from this Landing page.
3. Automated Abandon Checkout emails from Shopify aren't being sent (assuming because it's not the website cart). 

Are there best practices within Shopify to add products to pages like this?

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 2 4

Hi, if I understand correctly, the issue is that the cart created with the free sample buy button page is not the same cart as if a customer navigates to your Shop link and adds something to the cart, so you're looking to create a landing page that looks very similar to your free sample page, but when added to cart the customer goes through the normal checkout flow?

If that's the case, I think what you may need to do is create a new product template that you can set for a "free sample" product, something like product-free-sample.liquid that has product title at top, then description, then image, price, add to cart at the bottom.

After that template is created, when you create a free sample product and set the template to this type, it will arrange to elements to look like your example landing page.

One other thing to be very careful of, when you just set a price to $0, there is nothing stopping a customer from adding multiple free samples to the order. I was able to create this checkout with 30 free samples, for example (I didn't complete it). A better method would be to use a discount with a 1 per order limit.

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 1.55.30 PM.png

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

That was very helpful! Thank you for linking to the create a template instructions. I was searching for the wrong thing in the help center, trying to find solutions for "landing Pages" and coming up short. This is my weekend project now, editing templates is not something I have experience with. 

Yes, I agree on the way I setup the free sample product. I wanted to prove out offering a free sample would drive conversions before I added a promo code. I've been monitoring the qty ordered for now and everyone has been good. Now that I'm up to ~20 per week I will be adding the promo code requirement and will see how that impacts conversion rate.

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

I wanted to provide another update. 

I was able to create the new product template but wasn't getting it exactly how I wanted. 

I found a tutorial on creating a new page template that allows you to add custom content on a page using the sections feature. 
https://pinehurstwebsites.com/blogs/pinehurst-websites-e-commerce-and-seo/add-custom-page-of-collect...

With that I was able to add products to this page. https://tadazi.com/pages/special-offer-nov
1. it uses the same cart. 
2. looks better on mobile. Still figuring out how to align the products on desktop
3. I've now setup the discount code so thats how the offer will now be applied. 

Thanks again for your help and pushing me in the right direction. 

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 2 4

Great work!

Glad to have helped a little

0 Likes