Variant description with extra text and image

Tourist
18 0 1

Hi,

I'd like to have product variants that would display with additional text and images on the product page.
Where can I setup this?

Here's an example of how I'd like it to appear.

Thanks,

Vincent

0 Likes
Navigator
1137 0 119

Metafields!

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
32 0 0

standoutd is spot on - use the Metafields2 app to add additional fields to your products, then call them wherever you need them like this:

{{ product.metafields.namespace.key }}

Namespace and key are described in the Metafields2 documentation

0 Likes
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks a lot for your help.

I installed and started fiddling around but I'm a little confused and would love to have a bit of extra advice.

We sell fine art photography. Each photograph has 4 formats (a bit like S / M / L / XL sizes) that are represented in the capture above.
So I could for instance create a format_name, format_size, format_description, format_copies? Would those be metafields for product or variant? Also, since each format has a different price, how am I supposed to configure pricing for them?

Sorry if I'm confused between metafields and variants.
Also I initially thought of using the Bold app Product Variants to handle this, but I assume their app is based on metafields too?

Again thanks a lot for your help.

0 Likes
32 0 0

Are you using Variants for the S/M/L/XL sizes? If so, then you would set up your metafields in the Variants section of Meta2. 

In Meta2, go to the Variants tab, then the Configure tab and create 4 metafields. They can all have the same namespace - I'd just use 'custom_fields' as there's a neat Chrome add-on called ShopifyFD that will allow you to edit the metafields right within the Product info in Shopify, but I believe needs to see 'custom_fields' as the namespace to work correctly. 

Again, create 4 fields with 'custom_fields' as the namespace and 4 different 'keys' - something like what you indicated (format_name, format_size, format_description, format_copies) and save. Then go to the 'Values' tab and put in the info for each of those metafields that you'll want to show on the front end. 

You'll then need to go through your product.liquid and add the liquid code in where you'd like to show the content of those metafields - so, for instance, if you want it to show below the price, find where the title and price is being generated, then insert the code to pull in the data from metafields. 

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, as time is pressing for me at the moment. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9764 86 1511

but I believe needs to see 'custom_fields' as the namespace to work correctly

No - you'd be confusing ShopifyFD with Custom Fields. Even with that said, Custom Fieilds has a whitelist so you can use your own namespaces but that's currently limit to product level custom fields (not global).

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes