Variants/Different colored products with separate URLs (Prestige Theme)

Tourist
16 0 1

Can anyone help me use a dropdown/color swatches that are connected to other products (with their own URLs) instead of using Shopify's variants?

Im trying to get it so that it takes you to a completely different project with it's own URL like on this store here:

https://www.mlouye.com/collections/all/products/naomi-belt-bag-lavender

Thank you for your time. Been trying to find an answer on the forums but with no luck.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
125 0 13

The proper way to do it would be to edit the liquid code to build something that creates those links. 

But you could easily and quickly to it with jquery as well. sorry, I can't really get much more detailed than that without seeing your store. 

0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

What would you need to see? I have it currently unpublished because this is planned for a new re-design of our site. 

Would definitely be interested in getting some outside help on this, especially if you're confident you can do it efficiently. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
125 0 13

Hey Justin, I would need to see the page with the links in question. Also I would need to know the structure of the links you would like each variant to be sent to. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Justin, I am trying to do the same thing that you've been figuring out back than. Have you found the answer and could you help me solve this> Many thanks,

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

The fact that this is still being discussed a year later is completely ridiculous. There is no point in people setting up a store with Shopify and then crossing their fingers and hoping to make money - they will need to advertise. If they advertise, the number 1 platform in the world is Google. (That's why so many columns in the csv import template are devoted to Google Shopping) Because Shopify have not addressed this basic requirement, all of its users will be at a disadvantage to people using other platforms such as Magento. That is because, Google rank for relevance. That is to say, if people search for a Red Dress, they want to be taken to a Red Dress page, not a page with loads of colour options. Similarly, if people type 'Red Dress' into the search field, they want to go to a red dress, not a generic page. That's why other platforms have separate URLs for variants (retaining the drop down from a master product capability), and enable you to make the variant searchable. The fact that the Shopify platform charges top dollar (by the time you've signed up for a lifetime subscription for all the apps you need) and do not address basic issues like this that are fundamental to the success of its customers using the platform is inexcusable.

0 Likes