Variants

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi there...fairly new here.  I think I'm using the basic theme...?

I sell purses, and I want to be able to have the customer choose between a chain strap and a leather strap. I've created variants for them, but then it looks like I have two purses available, one for each different strap.  They're one-of-a-kind, so I can't take the risk of having both sell at the same time!!  Is there a way to OR the variants?  

Note, some of my products work fine with the variants, and I list them individually on one page.  Like, key chains in different colors.

I just point that out because I don't want to change it for ALL products on my site, just a few of them.

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1079 170 195

Hi There!

When you say one-of-a-kind do you mean you have one in stock? Would you mind sharing the link of the purse?

Thanks!

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com
K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0
Here’s the purse I am talking about. I don’t have the variants set up. Just
a link to the other strap. But I’d like them to be able to choose which one
and have the price vary based on their choice. Right now they have to
purchase the leather one and then purchase the s chain strap if they wanted
both.

https://beauty-bird-vintage.myshopify.com/collections/upcycled-lv-bags/products/the-fringed-wren-bla...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1079 170 195

Easy fix then, open the product on the backend, scroll down until you see "Add Variant".

Choose the Option name to be "Strap Type" then add the two strap types separated by a comma. Set individual prices for both and set their inventory to 1 each. Click on the image on the left to associate each strap with its featured image. 

And you're done!

K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

I don't see how that helps me...I'll still have a bag with a leather strap in stock, and a bag with the chain strap in stock.

And, this is not true.  I have ONE BAG, and need an option of two different straps.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1079 170 195

You would need to sync the inventory of both variants so that when one is sold the other gets its stock set to 0.

I suggest you use the "Bundles" app

https://apps.shopify.com/bundles

It has a two-week trial which you can then use to create one "bundle" that contains the straps. This will fix your issue. 

K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Geez, that seems awkward.  I can't be the only one with this issue.  Is there another theme that might handle this better?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1079 170 195

It's a backend related feature mostly so a Theme will not solve this. This is what I've done in the past for that. Setup take a few minutes and that's it

K&J
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Anyone else have any suggestions?  

0 Likes