Variations without inventory tracking?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
48 0 5

Is there any way to be able to track inventory ONLY on a main product and not on it's variations?  I am selling personalized teddy bears and I need to be able to let the customers choose to upgrade to colored sleeves for their teddy bear's t-shirt and/or add back printing.  But I don't need to track inventory on these things.  All I need is to know how many teddy bears I have in stock.  If I create the variations for colored sleeves and back printing it calculates the price correctly, but then creates about a dozen different versions of the same teddy bear in the inventory list...teddy bear with blue sleeves, teddy bear with green sleeves, teddy bear with blue sleeves and back printing, teddy bear with back printing, etc.  That is going to make life way too complicated as I have hundreds of animals and frequently need to go in and adjust inventory when I've sold animals in some location other than my Shopify store.

I could use line item properties to collect the information about sleeve color, back printing, etc., but then I can't charge extra for them which I really need to be able to do.  I've tried out several apps that do this but they all create seperate products for each of the add-ons which is really confusing for the customer in the cart, especially if they are ordering multiple animals all with add ons, adding 4 animals to the cart with add ons would result in 12 lines of stuff in the cart which will be confusing for them and for me when I'm trying to fill the order as I will have to match up which add ons go with which animal.  This seems like it should be so simple - I've had online stores for years and used many shopping carts and all of them have had the ability to a dropdown menu with your options and specify what the additional cost of it is, without this requirement of tracking inventory on the options and creating different SKUs for every option unless you want to.

I do need to track inventory on the teddy bears so I can't just turn off inventory tracking, I just don't want them also tracked by their variations!  I am at my wits end trying to figure out the best way to make this work! Thanks in advance for any ideas/help,

Laurie

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
48 0 5

I've discovered something that partially solves the problem - it is possible to turn off inventory tracking on individual variants.  Here's how that works for anyone who is interested:

1.  Create your product and set up all the variations you want.

2.  From the "products" page, find your item and click "export" at the top of the page. Click "Start editing your products".

3. Click "Add more fields" and choose "Inventory Tracking".  Then you can individually change each variation from "Shopify tracks this product's inventory" to "Don't track inventory".  If you leave the first variation (in my case "white T-shirt with no back printing, which is what the animal comes with) set to "Shopify tracks this product's inventory", then I can track inventory on my teddy bears but only have one item show up on the inventory list without having to track inventory on all the other options.

HOWEVER, then this means that if someone orders a teddy bear with a blue shirt or back printing, it won't remove one from the overall inventory and I will have to do that manually...so this still isn't a perfect fix.  I'd still love it if anyone can come up with any ideas for how to have it track overall inventory regardless of what variant is ordered without tracking inventory on the variants individually.  Thanks again!

Laurie

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10006 116 1818

There's a few app in the store (such as this) that can help keep the stock levels of the variant in sync. Your other option is just to use line items for the options, and keep just the one variant.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
48 0 5

Thanks...I actually tried that already and it didn't work either, because if I tell it I have 8 teddy bears, it syncs it with all the variations showing I have 8 of each which makes it seem like I Have 128 teddy bears in stock!  Line items are perfect for collecting the info I need for color etc but they don't allow me to charge extra for the options.  :(  

Laurie

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi I’ve just seen this post and am having the exact same issue! I noticed it was from a while ago, any chance of a solution? 

Thanks! 

0 Likes