Venture theme : modify number of rows

41 0 0

Hey, i'm curently building on my design with the free venture theme, i actually love it

There is one thing that i would like to change though : the number of itemps per rows, and the number of rows per page in any collection page, the number of products per page is 5 itemps x 4 rows = 20 items per page

I would like to change that, what should i change in the code ?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
557 4 88

Hey Jordan,

Liam here from Shopify - thank you for your question :)

Great to see you are looking to set up your product pages exactly how you would like, so let's see how you can increase (or decrease) the number of products on each row on your collection page.

To make this change you will want to customize the collection.liquid file which you can find in your themes templates folder. The line of code you will need to change is the opening container:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-fifth">

and specifically the word "fifth". If you want six products per line you would change the line above to:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-sixth">

And if you want four products per line you would change the line above to:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-quarter">

You can see the pattern here :) Next, if you want to change how many items appear per page you would change the pagination number at the very top of the collection.liquid file, eg:

{% paginate collection.products by 40 %}

Once you have done this you will see 40 products on a page. However, do not set the pagination to be above 50, as Shopify limits the number of products that can be output per page to 50. Doing so could break the collection page. 

I hope this helps Jordan, if you have any questions on the above points, please let me know.

Cheers,
Liam | Partner Education

support@shopify.com

1 Like
41 0 0

Awesome worked prefectly thanks :)

Is it possible to do so as well for the number of items per line and number of items displayed in the featured collection in the home page ?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
557 4 88

Hi again Jordan,

It would be possible to increase the number of items per line and number of items displayed in the featured collection on the home page by editing the featured-products.liquid file, which you would find in your section folder. Please do keep in mind this is not a supported customization, so you should make a back-up of your theme, in case you need to roll back to a previous version. 

First you would be changing the container for the collection image, this is appearing on line 28 of my version of Venture, and looks like:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-fifth collection__cover">

You would change this to 

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-sixth collection__cover">

Next you would be changing the container for the product image, this is appearing on line 42 on my version and looks like:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-fifth....

You would change this to:

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-sixth...

Finally, to increase the number of products which appear on this featured collection you would change the product limit. This is appearing on line 7 for me:

{% assign product_limit = rows | times: 5 | minus: 1 %}

would be changed to 

{% assign product_limit = rows | times: 6 | minus: 1 %}

Then your collection would look something like this:

Hope this helps Jordan :)

Please let me know if I can assist with anything else!

Liam

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Liam,

I tried to modify the featured-products.liquid code per your instructions to reflect 2 rows of 4 products each but when I did I ended up with a single column of 8 featured products centered on the page. Is there an additional edit required somewhere?

0 Likes
Tourist
9 0 1

What if you want to have only 2 columns?  I tried

<div class="grid__item small--one-half medium-up--one-half">

but this didn't work.  Is there another terms to use?

0 Likes
1 0 0

this was very helpful, thanks!

0 Likes