Want to create new country "CONUS" to choose for shipping to the lower 48 states only

Excursionist
28 0 18

I want to use UPS to ship products that ship only within the continental USA (CONUS).  My shipping country is United States but when I use the UPS carrier rates for the United States I have no way to restrict shipping locations.  All United States territories and possessions are on the United States list and I cannot select or desect by state/locale. Someone in Guam or the Marshall Islands can order products that I do not ship overseas.

To resolve this I have come up with an idea but I do not know how to implement it.  I would like to access the API for countries and create a new country.  The United States country code API could be copied and pasted creating two United State contries.  I would edit the pasted code to name the country CONUS and I would edit out the states of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc. That would give me two countries to add shipping rates for - one that is the entire USA and a second that is only CONUS.

I would assign UPS carrier rates to the CONUS country and enter standard rates for the United States country.

At least that is what and how I think it will work. Now the difficulty.  I do not know how to access the country API to edit it.  

Will this work as I think?  How do I make the changes?

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 7

From what I have seen, if you setup standard rates and you check and uncheck which "states" qualify. If you use the UPS integration, I believe all the location settings are controlled within your UPS account?

0 Likes
Excursionist
28 0 18

I tried that.  What I got was both standard and UPS rates offered at checkout for states that had been checked.  And for the states that had not been checked I was still offered UPS. If I could set the UPS states and standard shipped everywhere that would be okay.  But there is no option in the UPS connection to choose states.

If I add other countries then each country has a UPS connection associated with it.  That is what gave me the idea.

The United States is one of the many countries that can be added.  Another country on the list is United States Minor Outlying Islands.  Why not have a country that is the United States minus the United States Minor Outlying Islands, and Alaska, and Hawaii, etc.?  

Surely, other sellers would have a use for CONUS as country choice.  Many items cannot go by Air and must go by Ground.  Ground between the states in the USA means no Hawaii, no Guam, no Virgin Islands, and Alaska is much too costly.  

I think this is something Shopify could add quickly and easily. But till they do, I am still wondering if I can make my on country list somehow.

0 Likes
Excursionist
449 1 7

With UPS's existing integration with Shopify, you can very easily set it up using the Shipping Zone feature and enabling only those services for the zone. For example, under Domestic Zone, I have enabled all 62 states/territories under Shopify. You can switch off the UPS service you want for this zone.

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 3.02.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-18 at 3.02.59 PM.png

This should work out for you. Secondly you can even show Standard shipping and UPS rates together for any zone.

If you are in need for more customisations and are looking to show separate services based on shipping zone as well as product type, then you can opt for Multi carrier shipping label app. Note : The above case can also be very easily handled with this app.

0 Likes